The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

What result would the Ineos Grenadier achieve in the Euro NCAP or Global NCAP tests?

Jeremy996

Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
5:16 PM
Reaction score
Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, United Kingdom
It's ironic that ANCAP doesn't rate the wally behind the wheel.
Driving with one hand at 6 o'clock on corrugated roads, you know who you are ;)
It is very hard to regulate for the "nut behind the wheel".

For Ineos Automotive, I can see no upside and a lot of downside for paying for the Grenadier to undergo NCAP testing in any jurisdiction. No matter its actual crash performance, not having all of the electronic assistance systems will deny it 5 stars in any case.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It is great that they have advanced from scooters but when i see these adults still riding bikes I almost feel like stopping and giving them some coins from my pocket.
Dave - you may re-think that comment if you knew what some of those bikes actually cost (often exceeding an Alu-Cab lifting roof conversion). o_O

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
7:16 AM
Reaction score
Call me old fashioned but men drive cars and children ride bikes.
The grey wave of virtue signalling E bike seniors hasn't hit your town yet?
It will. You will be the odd one out :)

Local time
10:16 PM
Reaction score
There is no plan to test it and unlikely to be tested in the near future. However without the advanced accident avoidance tech like AWB and lane keep assist etc it can never get 5 star. And I suspect it won’t do wonderfully on the pedestrian safety stuff either so 4 is the best it could hope for and even 3 likely, assuming crash testing and occupant safety does well.

Well, when I see that the Wrangler only had 50% in the Driver/Adult Occupant category it makes me a little bit afraid.

I think that Ineos Automotive should make Global/Euro NCAP test the Grenadier.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Well, when I see that the Wrangler only had 50% in the Driver/Adult Occupant category it makes me a little bit afraid.

For Ineos to do that they would need to add all the babysitting electronics that most of us don't want.
Lane keep assist
Autonomous braking
radar cruise control
pedestrian detection system
blind spot monitoring
etc etc etc

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

I don’t think INEOS have anything to gain by doing that knowing that they can never achieve 5 without the automation. Would be nice if they would provide information on their own testing but I won’t be holding my breath. I have quite a bit of confidence it will be better than the Wrangler

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Afraid of what?

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:16 PM
Reaction score

Look at how the test is executed.
This means a collision object of similar size.
This is the theory- based on that typically normal cars are widespread and vehicles of this site are likely to crash in a vehicle of similar size.
Wranglers, G - Class and other of this size however are less common, and the likelyhood to crash in a vehicle of same size is so of course less common and so rather unlikely.

If you get it bigger - Crash in a cargo van 3-5 ton (Like the Mercedes "Sprinter", A Fiat Ducato or alike) is an entirely different topic, a 40 ton European HGV truck or US type Cargo Machine like a big FreightLiner is an entirely different topic - and anyway no match - and very likely ends in the coffin.
So a whatsoever "crash test" should consider the aspect of what are you dealing with.

What I dislike is the aspect of "vulnerable" road users. Its a point of view - I am vulnerable considering a collision with a HGV type vehicle.
At the end participating on traffic on public roads is always a risk.

What I dislike e.g. in Germany - a car driver is always liable to a vulnerable traffic participant (pedestrian / cyclist) even if the cardriver did not do anything wrong and obeyed all road codes. Because of the "general operational danger" of the vehicle.

I remember one in Dusseldorf I was waiting on a crossing - red signal, - A cyclist delivery person was next to me obeyed the crossing tram / street car (U77) and then willingly moved on into the crossing traffic forcing at least 3 vehicles in to an emergency stop. The cyclist showed them the middle finger and disappeared. That is one reason (of several similar occurrences but this one keeps sticking in my mind) why I ride with a dash cam, - perhaps see cyclists and e - bikers a bit preoccupied. If vulnerable intentionally disobey traffic codes and make offensive gestures I should still be liable - and my car should be designed to protect such people? .. Okay humans make errors and a vehicle that has functionality to assist its acceptable. But at the very end. I am the driver and its my fault and if I am the person making an error its my liability. But I shall not be liable for errors or intentional disobedience of traffic rules of other participants, no matter what type of vehicle I drive.

Local time
Reaction score
For Ineos to do that they would need to add all the babysitting electronics that most of us don't want.
Lane keep assist
Autonomous braking
radar cruise control
pedestrian detection system
blind spot monitoring
etc etc etc

I also don't care about electronics but the Driver/Adult Occupant protection in the Wrangler is not good.

Local time
Reaction score
For a very brief period there was a few frames of a Grenadier crash test on YouTube, but it has vanished. When Ineos staff spoke, they said it was massively more crash worthy than a classic Defender, but no one expects it to be EuroNCAPed as it is a low volumn vehicle and Ineos Automotive will not sponsor the tests.

Other than that, we only have bland assurances and nothing to hang a hat on.
This was my reaction. No matter how many stars it gets that will be a lot more than no stars which I think is what a classic defender would get. ;)

Local time
Reaction score
And another point is it will have been crash tested to obtain regulatory approval. They just won't discuss it publicly. It will also have been crash tested for validation purposes by ineos.

All the talk of tests in here is "consumer crash testing". Ie consumers paying people to crash test cars and tell them how they went. I can't see Ineos ever wanting a bar of that.

It's inevitable that it's going to get out eventually though. :oops:

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
2:16 PM
Reaction score
And another point is it will have been crash tested to obtain regulatory approval. They just won't discuss it publicly. It will also have been crash tested for validation purposes by ineos.

It's inevitable that it's going to get out eventually though. :oops:
Ineos has put plenty of slo-mo video footage of crashing Grenadiers on line. I think everyone can get a reasonably clear picture of what the results of the crash tests were. Do we get the minutae? No, but if they were bad there's no way in Helsinki they'd show the footage in public.

Local time
Reaction score
Ineos has put plenty of slo-mo video footage of crashing Grenadiers on line. I think everyone can get a reasonably clear picture of what the results of the crash tests were. Do we get the minutae? No, but if they were bad there's no way in Helsinki they'd show the footage in public.
The thing with safety.. sometimes it's the big things, but sometimes it's all the little details. It's very hard to guess deceleration rates from a video.

Back
Top Bottom