The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Steering Column Universal Joint Rubber Boot

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:01 AM
Reaction score
Initially raised as a query in this thread, as to whether this looked right:
WP_20230512_075.jpg

I discussed with my dealer, and they moved the lower part of the boot to completely cover universal joint and clamping mechanism (the silver metal part).

There was some thought of what would happen to the boot in this position, whether it would stay or even be torn. I can now reported after a 100 plus miles more the boot looks like this today - perfect:
WP_20230523_008.jpg

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
5:01 PM
Reaction score
Zipties and duct tape - always carry!

Reactions: PBD

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
My toddler could do a better job! At least its a very simple fix. Stainless cable ties and your set!
Until you need to replace it on the track. In the meantime , duct tape!

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Nar get the ones with screwdriver tighten/release - best thing ever made!
I have the proper s/s kit andtightening tool for CV joint full messy services.
I meant the rubber boot , when it tears or perishes.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It maybe that the Quality Assurance chap/chapess with the pot of paint and a brush* simply pulled the boot off the joint to "check and daub" .. and hasn't replaced it. Takes more "fiddle time" to replace than to remove because of the shape... poor practice nevertheless! *Perhaps they use a marker pen but only have one hand!:unsure:

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
9:01 AM
Reaction score
Sloppy work.

"Quality exceeds our expectations!"
Lynn Calder, Winter 2023

Mine are higher.

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:01 AM
Reaction score
Sloppy work.

"Quality exceeds our expectations!"
Lynn Calder, Winter 2023

Mine are higher.
I agree emax...looking at it closely the boot doesn't look as if it fits the beveled end and can slide up...the boot I think is designed for two round ends and not one end that has a flat section a bolt and a bevel...IMO but I will wait and see...shortly I hope... ;)

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My toddler could do a better job! At least its a very simple fix. Stainless cable ties and your set!
I guess we are all assuming that the intent was for the boot to fully cover everything. This may not be the case as the boot may be meant to only cover the knuckle of the joint and leave the connecting bolted clamp accessible. Are you sure the boot wouldn't have tidied up just as well by pushing it slightly back behind the clamp where the shaft is presumably round as well to match the boot?

By comparison my W463 G-Wagen has no boot at all covering the upper steering UJ, and has never needed one. Ineos could probably have left the boot off altogether and no-one would have cared.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I Ineos could probably have left the boot off altogether and no-one would have cared.
Quite.
You can add a heat sleeve if it's right next to an exhaust but otherwise it's a "sealed for life" joint
Mind you I don't live in a rust belt area , nor drive through salt water.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I guess we are all assuming that the intent was for the boot to fully cover everything. This may not be the case as the boot may be meant to only cover the knuckle of the joint and leave the connecting bolted clamp accessible. Are you sure the boot wouldn't have tidied up just as well by pushing it slightly back behind the clamp where the shaft is presumably round as well to match the boot?

By comparison my W463 G-Wagen has no boot at all covering the upper steering UJ, and has never needed one. Ineos could probably have left the boot off altogether and no-one would have cared.
We need IA to confirm. Boot covering a bolt connection that could easily store/hold muck could make sense for longevity of the bolt. Then again, maybe if exposed it will dry and not have moisture held in the boot thereby removing a long-term rusting issue? But either way - throw a strap over the 'real' position so it remains in said position.

sne

Local time
9:01 AM
Reaction score
Nar get the ones with screwdriver tighten/release - best thing ever made!
A change / intervention in the design / make of the steering column seems to be a safety critical issue for me.

Norb-TX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:01 AM
Reaction score
If you’re that worried about it, do what the Jeep guys do and spray the heck out of it with Fluid Film.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
We have had 5 Smart cars out of Hambach without fault so I have found the QC to be ok the Grenadier is OK too so far.
Yes, I've had a few Smarts out of there too and they've been excellent; but I'm wondering how many people working on Smart moved across to Grenadier? Smarts are still being produced, as well as all the bits for MB?

Reactions: PBD
Back
Top Bottom