The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Show us your crack (windshields)

If your windshield cracked (please answer honestly)

• Diesel : NO evidence of stone chip or damage prior to crack appearing

Votes: 8 10.3%
  • Diesel : evidence of stone chip or damage prior to crack appearing

Votes: 10 12.8%
  • Petrol/Gas: NO evidence of stone chip or damage prior to crack appearing

Votes: 8 10.3%
  • Petrol/Gas : evidence of stone chip or damage prior to crack appearing

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • No crack

Votes: 32 41.0%

• Total voters

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:55 AM
Reaction score
I would be interested in an automotive glass engineer’s perspective on the IG windscreen. My non-scientific approach, when I tap on the glass it feels rather thin.

coloradosnow

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:55 PM
Reaction score
Got this very typical looking crack last week... No visible stone chip, starts from the edge below the wiper. Sort of appeared like this in the morning.
That is how mine started. No visible chips. From bottom going up, then arching towards the center. The dealer looked at it and made no comment.

Psignore00

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I would be interested in an automotive glass engineer’s perspective on the IG windscreen. My non-scientific approach, when I tap on the glass it feels rather thin.
Same! Maybe they need to learn a lesson from Jeep and offer Gorilla Glass as an upgrade option. I would have gladly paid an extra $600 originally to know I had the highest quality glass. And going to look for other options before I replace again. I heard there was something similar to a screen protector, but seemed expensive before

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:55 PM
Reaction score
Same! Maybe they need to learn a lesson from Jeep and offer Gorilla Glass as an upgrade option. I would have gladly paid an extra $600 originally to know I had the highest quality glass. And going to look for other options before I replace again. I heard there was something similar to a screen protector, but seemed expensive before
Should not have to pay extra to get a windscreen that is fit for purpose.

High annual service costs plus a $2k windscreen replacement per annum will come back to bite Ineos in the coming year. They are currently pushing the problem onto the insurance companies and the consumer but when they jack the price of premiums to recoup their costs owners will get very vocal.

Karearea

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:55 PM
Reaction score
my original windshield lasted 7 days and finally 3 months later got replaced this week. 3 days later and another rock from the road just made another 3 foot+ crack.

Has anyone else replaced multiple windshields too? I’m starting to think this could be a design flaw or possibly low quality glass being used by Ineos. I’ve cracked one windshield bad enough to need replacement in 20 years of driving jeeps and pickup trucks. And 2 on a Grenadier so far this year…🧐

I’m hoping my insurance doesn’t drop me after two $2000 windshields in a week

If you anyone reading this is from Ineos Automotive or an attorney and would like to look into this further with me, please reach out.
You may not be aware so I’ll repost my personal experiences with a New Defender. I use this example as I am led to believe that Pilkington make the same screen to the same specifications as the ND. Only difference being that the Gren does not have the heated option.
My experience was a cracked windscreen every 5,000 kms. I went through five in two years and three months! The last one only made it to 1200kms!
I’m hoping the Gren has better luck simply because it’s a smaller target 😆, albeit a more vertical one 😞
I honestly hope this experience of yours comes to an end soon 👍🏼

Karearea

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I’ve heard of this too and investigated only to find it would cost me $1100 NZD which is about $700 US!
As I have a zero glass excess (and have been told by my insurers that I can have as many as I need 😳), I have not as yet had the protection option applied.
Time will tell if I change my mind. Received the first small stone impact recently and so far so good 🤞🏽

nickelnoff

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:55 AM
Reaction score
Bit off topic… but since this is the windscreen thread… my Grenny (MY23) has acquired a stone chip and an inevitable windscreen will be coming up some time. When screen is replaced with the rear view mirror get replaced with the new MY24 style rear view mirror ?

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Bit off topic… but since this is the windscreen thread… my Grenny (MY23) has acquired a stone chip and an inevitable windscreen will be coming up some time. When screen is replaced with the rear view mirror get replaced with the new MY24 style rear view mirror ?
Good question, but I highly doubt it, as just the glass gets replaced and the other bits are removed from the broken and affixed to the new.

Paco Garcia

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:55 AM
Reaction score
Hola amigos, el problema continúa, el viernes al salir del garaje noté una pequeña grieta, desde el interior del auto noté una pequeña grieta en la parte baja del parabrisas izquierdo. del volante, menos de 2 cm, en unos segundos empezó a agrandarse, alcanzando unas dimensiones considerables en tan solo dos minutos, contacté con mi distribuidor explicándole que era un problema conocido por ineos y que había muchos precedentes, mi distribuidor Estaba analizando el tema con el Ineos y después de varias horas de discusión me informaron que el Ineos les dijo que no tenían conocimiento de ningún problema con la rotura del parabrisas, que se debía a un "chinazo" previo en circulación, y que era un tema de seguro del auto, y él ignoró totalmente el problema, ante esta posición, me comuniqué con mi seguro (a todo riesgo) y mañana tengo que dejar el auto en el concesionario para que venga un perito de seguros y autorice la reparación, hasta que si esto no sucede, no puedes solicitar el reemplazo, que tendré que pagar yo y luego pasar el cargo al seguro. Me dijeron que una vez aprobada la reparación, el parabrisas nuevo puede tardar entre una semana y 10 días. No sé que deberíamos hacer, pero me parece vergonzosa la actitud del Ineos ante un problema tan evidente y que está afectando a tantos vehículos, en mi caso en un trialmaster Diesel con menos de 2000 km, lo dejo. te algunas fotos. Saludos Paco

[ADJUNTAR=completo]7855804[/ADJUNTAR]

[ADJUNTAR=completo]7855809[/ADJUNTAR]

[ADJUNTAR=completo]7855805[/ADJUNTAR]

Hello again friends, as I already told you, my Crak was on May 3 without a stone in the way, today I picked up the car, I'm telling you about finishing the topic in my specific case, and maybe I can help, or what you know what to expect in similar cases.

1º Ineos is not responsible for the breakage of the glass and attributes it, whether or not, to a "Chinazo" (stone), passing the problem, as already mentioned here, to the Insurance.

2º At least here in Spain the general glass repair houses do not have Grenadier glass, so you have to end up going to the distributor.

3º The Insurance when having to go to the "Official house" requires a prior expert opinion,
payment on behalf of the owner and reimbursement against invoice approved by the expert.

4º Once the quote was assessed and approved by the insurance, the new glass was ordered and it took 7 days, plus two days for assembly and delivery, in total I have had the car 12 at the dealership

5º The price of the Glass is €792 + €145 for the upper rubber that must be changed + €27 for the special anchoring glue + €114 for labor to install it + VAT = €1,304 for the total invoice.

I hope this information can be useful to you. Greetings Paco

Karearea

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hello again friends, as I already told you, my Crak was on May 3 without a stone in the way, today I picked up the car, I'm telling you about finishing the topic in my specific case, and maybe I can help, or what you know what to expect in similar cases.

1º Ineos is not responsible for the breakage of the glass and attributes it, whether or not, to a "Chinazo" (stone), passing the problem, as already mentioned here, to the Insurance.

2º At least here in Spain the general glass repair houses do not have Grenadier glass, so you have to end up going to the distributor.

3º The Insurance when having to go to the "Official house" requires a prior expert opinion,
payment on behalf of the owner and reimbursement against invoice approved by the expert.

4º Once the quote was assessed and approved by the insurance, the new glass was ordered and it took 7 days, plus two days for assembly and delivery, in total I have had the car 12 at the dealership

5º The price of the Glass is €792 + €145 for the upper rubber that must be changed + €27 for the special anchoring glue + €114 for labor to install it + VAT = €1,304 for the total invoice.

I hope this information can be useful to you. Greetings Paco
Thank you for this Paco, useful information indeed.
In my repeated experience this is actually quite a good replacement price. It will be interesting to see how NZ compares in cost 😳
The manufacturers all seem to rely heavily on the insurance industry to cover what I feel are fundamental product suitability issues🙄
The insurance industry will eventually catch up with this I think 🤔

Back
Top Bottom