The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Power steering noise

Eric.S.

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:35 AM
Reaction score
Hello everyone;) I was finally able to pick up my grenadier yesterday🥳 Unfortunately, I noticed at home that my power steering makes a strange noise. I think it's not a normal noise, or? The filling level in the container was at maximum with the engine warm but switched off. The German instructions do not say exactly in which condition the oil should be checked. Does anyone have an idea? I tried to post a video but I always see the file is too big (7mb)
Thank you;)

fredp45069

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I am struggling with this as mine certainly makes the same defining sound and yet so do many other Grenadiers I've seen at my dealer. The dealer did take the issue up with Ineos who declared it 'normal'. I can't think of another vehicle I have heard with such a loud squeal from the power steering pump. It may be 'normal' for Ineos but I am fairly sure that does not make it 'right'. I would replace the pump out of pocket if I believed it would eliminate or even decrease the squeal.
Dealer: “The power steering pump(GRA-4B23-038380) you're requesting is $2,275.64 + tax.
This would have to be ordered from the UK and may take 45-60 days transit time.”

Vote:
Upvote 0

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
8:35 AM
Reaction score
certainly makes the same defining sound and yet so do many other Grenadiers I've seen
If that is the case, then it is obviously a series defect in a poorly designed or built oil pump.

And you can't get rid of it by simply calling it "normal."

Vote:
Upvote 0

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Dealer: “The power steering pump(GRA-4B23-038380) you're requesting is $2,275.64 + tax.
This would have to be ordered from the UK and may take 45-60 days transit time.”
If it is a series defect, ordering a new oil pump that is also defective will not help.

Vote:
Upvote 0

bradb622

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Wow. That’s an expensive pump. I withdraw my solution of simply buying another. I get that some people view this as ‘normal’ or that it doesn’t bother everyone. At the same time, others are reporting no noise or minimal noise - so there’s an inconsistency here. I think it’s fair as Grenadier owners to ask why.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:35 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone had the steering fluid completely changed or had the system aired? Rather than the dealer keeps saying it’s normal. How do you let out the trapped air? My dealer hasn’t even attempted this.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Probably a silly question. For those that are suffering with this noise. Have you tried a general search on google? Hard to believe this would be unique to Ineos only. Possibly someone else has the answer ie, bleeding, oil change, belts, whatever! Google might at least point to some form of way forward.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Probably a silly question. For those that are suffering with this noise. Have you tried a general search on google? Hard to believe this would be unique to Ineos only. Possibly someone else has the answer ie, bleeding, oil change, belts, whatever! Google might at least point to some form of way forward.
Currently searching and educating myself as we speak, I’m not a mechanic. I just find it weird that not everyone has it and yet dealers says it normal. I’ve driven a few courtesy vehicles and all have it.

Don’t you have the squeeling noise like in the video above particularly when it’s stationary?

Vote:
Upvote 0

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Skydance
Not that I have ever noticed. Where are you based? Are there any other members near you for a quick comparison?

Vote:
Upvote 0
Local time
Reaction score
Listening to some of the videos the noise is very common with hydraulic systems running gear pumps both electrically driven pumps and engine driven. Reading the specifications from an earlier post, the pump is a brushless DC motor, likely with digital control, and a gear hydraulic pump. These pumps will be operating at near full relief pressure and can produce the most noise during steering cycle while the car is moving at its slowest and will go into bypass, over relief or electronically controlled pump derate at full lock. The pressure required to operate the power steer and noise will decrease controlled electronically as the car increases speed and require less steering assistance. Nearly every engine belt driven power steer system in cars use a vane type pump with a directly mounted reservoir which is generally quieter then a gear pump and a remote reservoir . There will be tolerances in the pump and the relief valving and the steer box valving so there is going to be some variance in pressures from vehicle to vehicle. A slight pressure variance in a hydraulic system from relief and bypass adjustments can be enough to increase pump or valve noise. Being a simple vehicle power steer system these valves will be non adjustable and likely to be very basic in design ie not temperature compensated or pilot controlled. Other areas the pump causing excessive pump noise is reservoir level too low, air being pulled in on the pump through the suction hose or reservoir joints due bad or lose connection, excessive turbulence in the reservoir from returning oil especially with low oil or and in some instances not enough reservoir pressure to maintain good pump fluid delivery under some operating conditions.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Listening to some of the videos the noise is very common with hydraulic systems running gear pumps both electrically driven pumps and engine driven. Reading the specifications from an earlier post, the pump is a brushless DC motor, likely with digital control, and a gear hydraulic pump. These pumps will be operating at near full relief pressure and can produce the most noise during steering cycle while the car is moving at its slowest and will go into bypass, over relief or electronically controlled pump derate at full lock. The pressure required to operate the power steer and noise will decrease controlled electronically as the car increases speed and require less steering assistance. Nearly every engine belt driven power steer system in cars use a vane type pump with a directly mounted reservoir which is generally quieter then a gear pump and a remote reservoir . There will be tolerances in the pump and the relief valving and the steer box valving so there is going to be some variance in pressures from vehicle to vehicle. A slight pressure variance in a hydraulic system from relief and bypass adjustments can be enough to increase pump or valve noise. Being a simple vehicle power steer system these valves will be non adjustable and likely to be very basic in design ie not temperature compensated or pilot controlled. Other areas the pump causing excessive pump noise is reservoir level too low, air being pulled in on the pump through the suction hose or reservoir joints due bad or lose connection, excessive turbulence in the reservoir from returning oil especially with low oil or and in some instances not enough reservoir pressure to maintain good pump fluid delivery under some operating conditions.
Thanks for the detailed explanation.

Vote:
Upvote 0

oliverwood

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hello everyone;) I was finally able to pick up my grenadier yesterday🥳 Unfortunately, I noticed at home that my power steering makes a strange noise. I think it's not a normal noise, or? The filling level in the container was at maximum with the engine warm but switched off. The German instructions do not say exactly in which condition the oil should be checked. Does anyone have an idea? I tried to post a video but I always see the file is too big (7mb)
Thank you;)
This is the noise mine has started to make. Normally after a while driving. It seems to come from the drives side (Uk) front wheel arch area.

Attachments

• 28fe8273-790a-435f-8d5a-78e5cefb4cec.mp4
    1.7 MB
Last edited:
Vote:
Upvote 0

parb

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
11:35 PM
Reaction score
Is power steering hydraulic and not electrical?
I find that unusual in modern cars, usually oems use electric ps units to reduce emissions associated with a hydraulic system for epa emissions requirements.

Vote:
Upvote 0

dreamalaska

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:35 PM
Reaction score
Is power steering hydraulic and not electrical?
I find that unusual in modern cars, usually oems use electric ps units to reduce emissions associated with a hydraulic system for epa emissions requirements.
The system is hydraulic but the fluid is run through an electric DC pump powered by the alternator. There isn’t a traditional power steering pump run by a belt that’s powered by the crankshaft.

Last edited:
Vote:
Upvote 0

oliverwood

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Or I’m thinking it could be a aluminium pipe rubbing on the drive shaft.
Thanks for the pointers.
do some investigation this weekend. Does seem to be slowly getting more often. Doesn’t seem to relate to steering, speed, acceleration or braking. Does happened straight away and seems to be when driven for a while. I’ll let you know what I find.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for the pointers.
do some investigation this weekend. Does seem to be slowly getting more often. Doesn’t seem to relate to steering, speed, acceleration or braking. Does happened straight away and seems to be when driven for a while. I’ll let you know what I find.
I came across this. Might be worth having a look.

Thread 'Scraping noise from Front driver's side wheel well'
https://www.theineosforum.com/threads/scraping-noise-from-front-drivers-side-wheel-well.12415072/

Vote:
Upvote 0

Brendang

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
If you learn anything I would be very grateful to hear it as Im sure others would too. This is really my biggest hang-up because I otherwise love the vehicle.
Every Grenadier in my dealer has that sound. I have one of the first 50 in SA and they all have that sound. Normal … they say

Vote:
Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom