The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Build Thread @ninetubes - overlanding build - western australia

Wayneos

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:58 PM
Reaction score
Rear muffler removal:
I was pretty keen to start looking at making a second fuel tank, most obvious spot i could see was where the rear muffler lives. So to get the ball rolling a friend removed the rear muffler and straight piped it.
No it doesn't sound any different. Honestly not the slightest bit either inside the car or with your ear next to the tail pipe.
No idea why it's there, maybe for the petrol and it gets left in for the diesel. i don't know.
Anyway, i havent had a chance to get onto the tank yet, but there is room for a good 50L by my measurements. Shouldn't be too hard to tee into the filler hose either. then the plan will be an electric transfer pump to pump into the main tank.

Glad to see someone do this finally! First thing I thought about when getting a Gren was chucking the muffler and using that space for extra fuel and/or water. (y)

Nocrays

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
12:58 PM
Reaction score
Rock sliders / Side steps:
I had the car delivered with factory sliders in the hope they could be used for side steps too. They can’t.
So I cut them off the mounts and moved them. They went up and out about 50mm, and rotated downward a bit too. They now roughly line up with the tyres when viewed from above. This is better for getting in and out of the car, plus now they sit outside the bodywork they’ll protect it from being doored in car parks etc.
I now need to pull them off and re-powdercoat them.
I echo the others - thanks for recording your mods.

I have the sliders ordered and like you want to mod them to double as steps. Was think about adding a second outer tube but I am now considering your solution to just reposition them as they are as it wouldnt add any further weight. Are you able to share how you reconfigured the mounting points?

BarnesH

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:58 AM
Reaction score
Sounds good to me if I can get another 80L plus under there. Will save carrying extra fuel in Jerry cans. I’ve just had confirmed by a friend in the know that this will not affect the MOT in the U.K. as long as the sound of the exhaust isn’t noticeable louder.
Hi Logsplitter, I’d like to get this done on my Petrol TM in UK. If you find anyone willing to give it a go on ours, please let me know!

Rok_Dr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
A great read @ninetubes. Thanks for posting.

I’m starting to compile a similar post for “Henry” but my electrical skills are limited to uhf installs and crimping up adaptors.

Cheers
Steve

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:58 AM
Reaction score
Hi Logsplitter, I’d like to get this done on my Petrol TM in UK. If you find anyone willing to give it a go on ours, please let me know!
Will do. I’ve got some feelers out. Myself or my Grenadier won’t be back in the U.K. for a while. But no rush it’s good to watch the forum and seeing what others are doing and which fabricator is doing what 👍🏼

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:58 PM
Reaction score
It’s my wife’s. I did 5 months in that as a daily in the final run up to the grenny.
We have since sold if to make way for the camper. Losing that, the landy, and an rs4 I the last 12 months feels like something that I’ll talk about a lot in the future 😢
Hi ninetubes, I used to have a Karmann Ghia that was almost identical to yours. I painted mine Porsche "Ice Green". That color made it go faster. DaBull

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:58 AM
Reaction score
Excellent work - thanks for sharing so much. Great food for thought.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Super build log, thanks for sharing. How did the new camper perform?

ninetubes

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Super build log, thanks for sharing. How did the new camper perform?
10/10! I’d done all my maintenance and a few mods like lithium before we left so no dramas (except a minor adjustment of a new set of brakes I over adjusted)
I friend had an X1 for a good 5 years. After seeing where that got to, the abuse it got and the way it kept coming back for more, I didn’t even look at anything else.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
10/10! I’d done all my maintenance and a few mods like lithium before we left so no dramas (except a minor adjustment of a new set of brakes I over adjusted)
I friend had an X1 for a good 5 years. After seeing where that got to, the abuse it got and the way it kept coming back for more, I didn’t even look at anything else.
Good to know. I’m a bit of a towing sceptic but for Gary Junction Road/Tanami etc it’s clearly the way to go. X1 in particular looks very nicely engineered.

ninetubes

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Rock Lights:
I found a bunch of rock lights amongst my stuff. A set of 6 coloured ones, and a pair of white ones.
I think they were given to me so I do t have a link, but similar to these Stedi ones
I didn’t really aspire to having these on the car, but given I had them I thought they could make for good ambient camp lights. Nothing too obnoxious, just enough indirect light to stop you from tripping over something.
The six seemed over the top, so I fitted 2 to the car. I mounted them on the rear facing part of the front rock slider mounting bracket. So just behind the front wheel. They are well protected there and cast a light to the sides and out the rear of the car (for when you approach the rear).
To wire them up I took the 10A under bonnet aux power (EXT 1) and ran that under the car. For the LHS light, I pushed the wire inside the cross member to keep it neat and protected.
The 6 coloured ones went on the camper, which is kind of neat as they can be controlled by your phone or music etc. which mezmarises my 3yo daughter.
IMG_1805.jpegIMG_1419.jpeg

Local time
6:58 AM
Reaction score
Rock Lights:
I found a bunch of rock lights amongst my stuff. A set of 6 coloured ones, and a pair of white ones.
I think they were given to me so I do t have a link, but similar to these Stedi ones
I didn’t really aspire to having these on the car, but given I had them I thought they could make for good ambient camp lights. Nothing too obnoxious, just enough indirect light to stop you from tripping over something.
The six seemed over the top, so I fitted 2 to the car. I mounted them on the rear facing part of the front rock slider mounting bracket. So just behind the front wheel. They are well protected there and cast a light to the sides and out the rear of the car (for when you approach the rear).
To wire them up I took the 10A under bonnet aux power (EXT 1) and ran that under the car. For the LHS light, I pushed the wire inside the cross member to keep it neat and protected.
The 6 coloured ones went on the camper, which is kind of neat as they can be controlled by your phone or music etc. which mezmarises my 3yo daughter.
View attachment 7839933View attachment 7839934
Hi Nine Tubes, thank you very much from Germany for the excellent documentation of your improvements! That`s a great help for many people all over the world!
Here I have some questions:
1: Is the elongation of the rock sliders wide enough to enter or leave the car conveniently, even with boots? Maybe 5 cm more would be better?
2: I saw and measured the full roof rack. In my opinion it`s too short at the front and at the back. With my roof tent from Maggiolina on it, there is no roon left(front and back). My roof rack on my defender is much longer. With the roof rack on it, I still have ca. 60 cm in front of it. The roof tent on the Grenadier could be 10 cm longer at the end and at least 30 cm longer up to or over the windshield. I need the space for Jerry cans, water canisters and other stuff when we are travelling in southern Afrika. What is your opinion?
3: I can´t believe that the sound of the Grenadier without the muffler in the back isn´t louder as with the muffler. Maybe when you are idling. But when you accelerate fully and when you drive with higher speed, the sound of the truck must be louder. Otherwise there wouldn´t be a muffler.

Good luck and much fun with your Special Truck! Hans

FrankeMatt

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:58 PM
Reaction score
Rock Lights:
View attachment 7839933View attachment 7839934
Nice Work!! Could you tell me where you found the Ext 1 (10amp) wires? I found the Ext 5 location, but can't find Ext1. Thanks!

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:58 AM
Reaction score
Fantastic work, I am really interested to see if somebody will sell some commercial extra fuel tank. That's the only thing I will never do myself! Petrol is so flammable.
Really, thanks for sharing your experience! 😍

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Nice Work!! Could you tell me where you found the Ext 1 (10amp) wires? I found the Ext 5 location, but can't find Ext1. Thanks!
EXT1 on my RHD was nearby EXT5, on the lower side of the loom. Had to remove the airbox lid to get a hold of it.

ninetubes

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Here are both the 25A and the 10A pairs. The rearmost one is the 10A. Look for the shiny PVC tape on the wiring harness behind the airbox

Attachments

• IMG_1279.jpeg
    IMG_1279.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 84

ninetubes

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Nine Tubes, thank you very much from Germany for the excellent documentation of your improvements! That`s a great help for many people all over the world!
Here I have some questions:
1: Is the elongation of the rock sliders wide enough to enter or leave the car conveniently, even with boots? Maybe 5 cm more would be better?
2: I saw and measured the full roof rack. In my opinion it`s too short at the front and at the back. With my roof tent from Maggiolina on it, there is no roon left(front and back). My roof rack on my defender is much longer. With the roof rack on it, I still have ca. 60 cm in front of it. The roof tent on the Grenadier could be 10 cm longer at the end and at least 30 cm longer up to or over the windshield. I need the space for Jerry cans, water canisters and other stuff when we are travelling in southern Afrika. What is your opinion?
3: I can´t believe that the sound of the Grenadier without the muffler in the back isn´t louder as with the muffler. Maybe when you are idling. But when you accelerate fully and when you drive with higher speed, the sound of the truck must be louder. Otherwise there wouldn´t be a muffler.

Good luck and much fun with your Special Truck! Hans
Hey Hans,
Thanks mate.
1. The sliders are just far enough out to get a boot on. Ergonomically they are a bit too high to enter and exit comfortably. The trade off to maintaining good ground clearance.
2. I find the 2.5m long roof rack adequate. Enough room for a 2.1m roof tent plus jerrycans etc.
3. The muffler makes no difference at all. Even under load at high revs. I have seen it removed from a petrol and it made a big difference. I believe it’s mainly for the petrol and has just been left in the diesel which doesn’t really need it due to having 2 turbos a cat and a dpf to attenuate the exhaust noise.
All the best, Dan

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom