The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

NATO Plug,Socket

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:38 PM
Reaction score
I'd be interested in knowing anything more about this as I've not heard it before and my agent suggested the issue was just the initial supply was for the lower S rating of 250kg and soon swapped out for the higher 350kg rated items.
That was my understanding. I can't believe you need any further approval to attach anything to a tow ball as long as the s value isn't exceeded.

Reactions: PBD

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
think the go to company for replacement Land Rover wheel nuts has always been these guys:
Have used Wrington - very good products.

PBD

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'd be interested in knowing anything more about this as I've not heard it before and my agent suggested the issue was just the initial supply was for the lower S rating of 250kg and soon swapped out for the higher 350kg rated items.
Mine is clearly marked 350kg. It may be that it is the correct one then, will contact dealer later.

Tomo

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Last Saturday I went to see my Trialmaster. It has both the NATO and the Eu 13 pin plugs fitted and wired in . Tow ball has to be replaced because even though it has a 350 kg approved load, it is not approved for cycle racks etc. I ordered the tow pack electrics and 50mm tow ball etc for the UK and that is how it was delivered.
I also checked the locking wheel nuts out, I don’t think they are fit for steel wheels, they are clearly made to fit the alloy wheels so told JT Hughes not to fit them.
Looks great and can’t wait to get it!
I am also in Leicester, can I ask which dealer you are using, I assume it is Sandicliffe in Nottingham ?

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:38 AM
Reaction score
FWIW...I'd check with the State Transport Regs... such spacers may be illegal... Spacers can increase the (shear?) loading on the wheel studs because of the spacer gap between the flange and body of the wheel. I (reluctantly) used spacers (10mm) on a camper trailer to accommodate electric brakes... which is where I came across the Dept. Motor Transport references to their use on cars.

Also, I seem to remember some engineering advice back in the long dim past where it was good practice to have several "excess" threads clear of the fastener once it had been tightened to spec. I'm sure there are others better versed in these matters who maybe able to clarify...;)
Not legal anywhere in Australia as far as I am aware m

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Mine is clearly marked 350kg. It may be that it is the correct one then, will contact dealer later.
Well I opened the Brink box in the back of mine yesterday:
WP_20230428_030.jpg
Kit includes the bolts, a pair of shake proof washers & plastic dome covers ~ no nuts. WP_20230428_033.jpgWP_20230428_034.jpg
The towball itself is marked:
WP_20230428_035.jpg
And seems to have a slightly larger offset from the mating surface than standard ones I have in my workshop:
WP_20230428_036.jpg
WP_20230428_032.jpg

It looked identical to the ones shown me by the agent later that were to be scrapped for having the wrong profile on the ball face and being uncompatible with certain types of bike carrier. So that message was consistent with what others have been told.

The agents are having to use the warranty returns process to reorder a correct towball.

Last edited:

PBD

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Well I opened the box in the back of mine yesterday:

View attachment 7809837
Kit includes the bolts, a pair of shake proof washers & plastic dome covers ~ no nuts. View attachment 7809839View attachment 7809838
The towball itself is marked:
View attachment 7809840
And seems to have a slightly larger offset from the mating surface than standard ones I have in my workshop:
View attachment 7809835
View attachment 7809836
From memory on my visit to mine two weeks ago, I think the mounting plate that the two ball is bolted to, has threaded holes.
I don’t remember any locking nuts for the back of the plate either. I do remember thinking that the bolts looked a bit short which made me look at the plate.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, I think I can see threads in the holes in some of my photos.

In all photos where the detail is visible there have been nuts used. Initially, with the bolt "reversed", flanged nuts:

Screenshot_20220613_172618.jpg
But more recently also in bolt "forward" mode:
09_20230103_143907.JPG

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
FWIW...I'd check with the State Transport Regs... such spacers may be illegal... Spacers can increase the (shear?) loading on the wheel studs because of the spacer gap between the flange and body of the wheel. I (reluctantly) used spacers (10mm) on a camper trailer to accommodate electric brakes... which is where I came across the Dept. Motor Transport references to their use on cars.

Also, I seem to remember some engineering advice back in the long dim past where it was good practice to have several "excess" threads clear of the fastener once it had been tightened to spec. I'm sure there are others better versed in these matters who maybe able to clarify...;)
Wheel spacers apparently involved in this incident:
View: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CqWSya0jZ48/?igshid=NjZiM2M3MzIxNA==

etbandit

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Australian update: NATO to Anderson adapter

I have had an Australian Co contact me to work on a solution. I have also contacted my INEOS Dealer to get involved (they are interested). Sorry to be vague, but this only happened yesterday and we are working on details and a NATO to Anderson adapter to test.

They are also working on a Deutsch DTP plug kit customised for INEOS users (I will post info to the Deutsch DTP thread in due course). The CEO asked for some feedback recently so I gave it and the Co. followed up on both matters!
Great work! Keep us updated. Would certainly be interested in both the NATO to Anderson and Deutsch adaptors.

Francois

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:38 PM
Reaction score
Great work! Keep us updated. Would certainly be interested in both the NATO to Anderson and Deutsch adaptors.
Good morning
Good morning from South Africa. I have enquired from IG Cape Town for such a NATO male plug to fit the NATO female at the rear of the IG, but was unsuccessful. Does anyone in SA knows where to obtain this plug?

Local time
Reaction score
Good morning

Good morning from South Africa. I have enquired from IG Cape Town for such a NATO male plug to fit the NATO female at the rear of the IG, but was unsuccessful. Does anyone in SA knows where to obtain this plug?

TVH is HELLA distributor in ZA:

The HELLA Part No's for the standard plug can be found on page one in this thread..there are different versions of the plug though.

For continuous use on rough tracks, it has been suggested to use the version with a "safe-ring" a thread at the plug, to secure it to the socket, like this one:

1683958606767.png

You´ll find a few more variants of the plug..HELLA RRP of the one in the picture is $250,-, it can be found at 150,- on the likes of eBay. The part no:

8JA 001 931-051​

Here is another one, without the dirt traps:

1683959424972.png

replace -051 with -061 for the parts no.

Originally the system was designed for stationary use, it has developed into something more versatile those days.

Quite expensive at full MIL spec but outlasting the vehicle.

Last edited:

PBD

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Just thinking about trickle charging mine whilst it’s standing outside. Could the nato be used?

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Just thinking about trickle charging mine whilst it’s standing outside. Could the nato be used?
You would need to know how your car is wired. You may only be able to trickle charge the aux battery.

I would try and wire an Anderson plug into any onboard charger to get all its safety features.

Burki

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Here are images and specs of both female (installed) and male (attach to the trailers/caravans cable) plugs in the INEOS Grenadier in Australia (it appears to be the same globally). Images and specs from Connector-Tech ALS' website.

View attachment 7808967
View attachment 7808968

View attachment 7808969
View attachment 7808970
did somebody test the NATO plug already with permanent 100A? I mean the plug is good for 150A+ but does the cabling within the Grenny fit for 100A permanently. How is the cable diameter?

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The rear NATO plug is wired, from the factory, for 500 amps to run the rear winch (if you select that option) So it can handle 100 amps.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If it is the vehicle battery you want to trickle charge and if you have a 13 pin as well why not charge it through that.

PBD

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If it is the vehicle battery you want to trickle charge and if you have a 13 pin as well why not charge it through that.
Yes Eric the duel batteries, if it could be done via the 13 pin all good. I just want a waterproof access so I can have the charger in the garage and the grenny outside.

MarkH

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
I'll probably fit an 175A Anderson plug near the NATO and use the NATO's cabling - the NATO will just stay in place disconnected. The NATO's cabling is 50mm², the Anderson takes up to 53mm². It'll power the DC charger in the van and portable air compressor. Anderson is the cheaper way to go.

Back
Top Bottom