The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Market Research: open-source modular infotainment system

alexandruast

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:53 AM
Reaction score
Hello friends,
Getting used to my IG, one of the things that bothers me is the proprietary infotainment and switch panels.

I am thinking about a plug-and-play replacement solution with the following features:

Phase 1
1. Use an industry-grade standard programming board (Arduino or others) to sum up all the inputs and control all outputs from the vehicle (software will be open-sourced so anyone can modify it)
2. Write open-source mobile apps for iOS and Android so anyone can control the settings from their mobile phones.
At this point, you can delete the infotainment screen completely.
Pricing estimation (per unit) for the boards, mounts, cable harness adapters, R&D, software development: 1000$ (based on a 10.000 unit batch)

Phase 2
4. Manufacture custom mounts and panels for universal switches to be used, instead of the proprietary and non-customizable ones.
5. Manufacture tablet mount in place of the OE infotainment screen for people who want their screen back but with the advantages of a fully customizable solution.
We will not sell these items, only 3d diagrams will be provided for 3rd party manufacturers or you can DiY with a 3d printer and any buttons you want/like.

Phase 3
6. Replace the tell-tale screen with a retro led matrix display and controller, fully customizable with any information you want, independent of the mobile app (so it can control/display everything without screens).
Pricing estimation (per unit) for the boards, screen, mounts, cable harness adapters, R&D, software development: 1000$ (based on a 10.000 unit batch)

What do you guys think? Would you be interested in such product?
Price estimations are for people interested in supporting my work, everything is going to be open-sourced from the beginning so you can even contribute or DiY without actually buying anything from me.

Khalfan323

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:53 PM
Reaction score
Hello friends,
Getting used to my IG, one of the things that bothers me is the proprietary infotainment and switch panels.

I am thinking about a plug-and-play replacement solution with the following features:

Phase 1
1. Use an industry-grade standard programming board (Arduino or others) to sum up all the inputs and control all outputs from the vehicle (software will be open-sourced so anyone can modify it)
2. Write open-source mobile apps for iOS and Android so anyone can control the settings from their mobile phones.
At this point, you can delete the infotainment screen completely.
Pricing estimation (per unit) for the boards, mounts, cable harness adapters, R&D, software development: 1000$ (based on a 10.000 unit batch)

Phase 2
4. Manufacture custom mounts and panels for universal switches to be used, instead of the proprietary and non-customizable ones.
5. Manufacture tablet mount in place of the OE infotainment screen for people who want their screen back but with the advantages of a fully customizable solution.
We will not sell these items, only 3d diagrams will be provided for 3rd party manufacturers or you can DiY with a 3d printer and any buttons you want/like.

Phase 3
6. Replace the tell-tale screen with a retro led matrix display and controller, fully customizable with any information you want, independent of the mobile app (so it can control/display everything without screens).
Pricing estimation (per unit) for the boards, screen, mounts, cable harness adapters, R&D, software development: 1000$ (based on a 10.000 unit batch)

What do you guys think? Would you be interested in such product?
Price estimations are for people interested in supporting my work, everything is going to be open-sourced from the beginning so you can even contribute or DiY without actually buying anything from me.
Absolutely!

Back
Top Bottom