The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Locking spare tire cover alternatives

Local time
8:59 AM
Reaction score
Hi, I like the idea of using the spare tire as an additional storage box with the locking spare tire cover. But it seems that the current Grenadier optional cover is plastic and would not be that secure. Is there an aftermarket locking cover that is more substantial. Especially if you were putting say an air compressor in it.

Last edited:

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
1:59 AM
Reaction score
It would need to be pretty substantial and made of metal or kevlar or something. Even then if someone knows there are valuables inside, a portable angle grinder will take out the hinges.
No way would I put expensive kit in there.
Maybe a venomous snake though.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:59 AM
Reaction score
It would need to be pretty substantial and made of metal or kevlar or something. Even then if someone knows there are valuables inside, a portable angle grinder will take out the hinges.
No way would I put expensive kit in there.
This is my take on it as well... I ordered the storage box because it's a great little spot to toss some stuff that you won't break your spirit if, as the rest of our English speaking readers say, it gets nicked. My plan is to toss work gloves, a strap or two, some soft shackles and screw pin bow shackles, etc.

We have a sizable aluminum storage box on the back of our Sprinter (well, a medium one for most of the year, and a tall one specifically for skis for winter). Unless the skis are in it, I rarely lock either one. If you really want to steal an extension cord and a garden hose with a filter on it, then go right ahead; immediately next to it on the Sprinter are 2 pairs of unlocked Maxtrax for the past 2 years and 50k miles. Maybe I just don't park in "sketchy" areas enough???

Tomdoc

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:59 PM
Reaction score
Mine is for wet towels, fishing bait boxes and other stuff that gets banned from the interior if the wife is in the car.

Local time
Reaction score

maybe call Karl and see if he can fab some up.

Or, do what I do with plenty of bolt on accessories, and take the pic (and preferably a shop dwg. use free online cad) to a local fab shop and have one made for pennies on the dollar. Notice in this version the back plate bolts on and connects with allthread to the front and you can tinker with depth on install. the rim itself is the body, no rolling of sheet required.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
1:59 AM
Reaction score
Mine is for wet towels, fishing bait boxes and other stuff that gets banned from the interior if the wife is in the car.
But not fish?
Are you in the "the fishing was great , but was the catching that was bad" club? 😁

Local time
Reaction score

maybe call Karl and see if he can fab some up.

Or, do what I do with plenty of bolt on accessories, and take the pic (and preferably a shop dwg. use free online cad) to a local fab shop and have one made for pennies on the dollar. Notice in this version the back plate bolts on and connects with allthread to the front and you can tinker with depth on install. the rim itself is the body, no rolling of sheet required.
ha. they even stole the pics. just get this as a base to refab.

Back
Top Bottom