The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

INEOS using less Torx bolts/screws?

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:10 PM
Reaction score
Just FYI.

My car (VIN 7719) does not have Torx bolts on the door sills (drivers and passenger doors checked so far), but hex head bolts. I know earlier cars had Torx bolts.

INEOS are still using Torx elsewhere, like the bonnet opening lever and the second bolt/screw under the lever and in the battery box.

Last edited:

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
8:10 AM
Reaction score
Cost cutting ...
Supply problems ...

Who knows? 🤷‍♂️

landmannnn

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:10 AM
Reaction score
There's a couple of issues with Torx that might be the change reason.

Firstly, since they are really good at high torque fastening, they are easy to over-torque. Shouldn't be an issue on a production line with torque limiting tools, however easy for an operative to set the torque wrongly and strip out a thread on something that doesn't need it.
You can use the next size down on Torx and it still will turn the head, with a risk of stripping of course. You can't do this with hex head.

Rok_Dr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:10 PM
Reaction score
Just FYI.

My car (VIN 7719) does not have Torx bolts on the door sills (drivers and passenger doors checked so far), but hex head bolts. I know earlier cars had Torx bolts.

INEOS are still using Torx elsewhere, like the bonnet opening lever and the second bolt/screw under the lever and in the battery box.
From memory mine has hex bolts. It’s a sub 2500 VIN

Back
Top Bottom