The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Grenadier vs Simpson Desert

Sam

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:32 PM
Reaction score
I’m all for modding stuff but yeah, completely agree that it’s a different calculus when you can drive it out of the showroom and into a desert.
Modifications are an interesting one. Personally I don't like to touch (too much) what has been provided (and properly engineered) by the manufacturer.

For example it annoys me that, say, a Defender or Landcruiser doesn't come with, say, recovery points. Is that fit for purpose? Why leave this to the user to solve - are they skilled in the engineering of automotive chassis? Lockers, bull bars, lifts, etc.

I'm quite suspicious of the aftermarket. Well done Ineos.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:32 PM
Reaction score
View attachment 7833543

Oz crossing completed at Coral Bay… might’ve been slightly easier on the Gary Junction Road but we were dodging rain.
All previously reported faults (TPMS, Offroad Mode) have resolved themselves without intervention.

Approx 8,200kms total.

What a vehicle, tough as nails. Couldn’t be happier with it.

View attachment 7833544
Hi Globalgregors, What an incredible accomplishment. You are setting a storied history for the Grenadier. Thanks for taking us along on the drive. I love the photo at Coral Bay with your white Grenadier. It reminds me of the America Song, A Horse with No Name. DaBull
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=na47wMFfQCo

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:32 PM
Reaction score
I doubt there are many (any…?) that could undertake such a trip, without modification, straight off the showroom floor?
Not to deminish the trip @globalgregors has done, but other than the Simpson crossing I think most of this is reasonable (albeit remote) dirt roads though. I would assume as long as you are well set up, the only thing most stock 4wds would need are good AT tyres and rated recovery points to do this trip.
That said, cracking trip and well done!!
And it’s often less about whether it can do the trip and more about how well it does it, and that’s were the IG has shined no doubt.
Shame you didn’t start at Byron Bay and finish at steep Point @globalgregors - you could have crossed off the east and west extremes off the list!!

Last edited:

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Not to deminish the trip @globalgregors has done, but other than the Simpson crossing I think most of this is reasonable (albeit remote) dirt roads though. I would assume as long as you are well set up, the only thing most stock 4wds would need are good AT tyres and rated recovery points to do this trip.
That said, cracking trip and well done!!
And it’s often less about whether it can do the trip and more about how well it does it, and that’s were the IG has shined no doubt.
Shame you didn’t start at Byron Bay and finish at steep Point @globalgregors - you could have crossed off the east and west extremes off the list!!
I concur, whist this is an epic test of the Grenadier in an extreme environment and as afore mentioned by yourself most stock 4x4 vehicles with good tyres can do this trip.
This is in no way taking away anything from the courage, determination and confidence of @globalgregors

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I concur, whist this is an epic test of the Grenadier in an extreme environment and as afore mentioned by yourself most stock 4x4 vehicles with good tyres can do this trip.
That may depend on the corrugations on the Great Central Road which can destroy a car or truck. I was sure glad to get off the NT side of the road when I did the trip, I was being shaken to pieces, no matter I tried.

Local time
2:02 PM
Reaction score
Here is an example of a non modified 4x4 doing the Simpson -

View: https://youtu.be/RSyo8n_fudg?si=q1hy6k3SnICAMxcD
But how would that horrible hot v motor in the 300 cope with 51 centigrade, 124F while doing an East West crossing of the French line, and not the probable west east crossing in approximately 25 centigrade.
The Grenadier impressively took it in its stride its cooling system must be next level.
An East West crossing is far harder, and the sand will be powdery at that ridiculously high temperature.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
But how would that horrible hot v motor in the 300 cope with 51 centigrade, 124F while doing an East West crossing of the French line, and not the probable west east crossing in approximately 25 centigrade.
The Grenadier impressively took it in its stride its cooling system must be next level.
An East West crossing is far harder, and the sand will be powdery at that ridiculously high temperature.
It would be interesting to see what you are proposing. Mind you I think Toyota may have it sorted, but it remains to be seen.
On the cooling side of things, the Grenadier I drove recently has had a thematic fan fault so no cooling at all apart from the secondary unit inside the bumper, got up to 130 deg on a hill in 38 deg temp the day before yesterday. Cooled down while not under load, air con not working either. Owners not a happy chap.
First I've seen of this

Local time
2:02 PM
Reaction score
It would be interesting to see what you are proposing. Mind you I think Toyota may have it sorted, but it remains to be seen.
On the cooling side of things, the Grenadier I drove recently has had a thematic fan fault so no cooling at all apart from the secondary unit inside the bumper, got up to 130 deg on a hill in 38 deg temp the day before yesterday. Cooled down while not under load, air con not working either. Owners not a happy chap.
First I've seen of this
A car should not be driven when it is experiencing a fault with the cooling system, such as a thematic fan malfunction, and thematic fans do malfunction sometimes. the 300 series has a hot V design "turbo chargers and exhaust in the V", massive heat and no where to go.
The 300 is already experiencing issues such as excessive oil consumption, ( it needs a long range sump ) and reduced service intervals as a consequence, it was sent to current 300 owners in a confidential memo according to You Tube influencer John Cadogan.

The long range sump was a joke.

Last edited:

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
A car should not be driven when it is experiencing a fault with the cooling system, such as a thematic fan malfunction, and thematic fans do malfunction sometimes. the 300 series has a hot V design "turbo chargers and exhaust in the V", massive heat and no where to go.
The 300 is already experiencing issues such as excessive oil consumption, ( it needs a long range sump ) and reduced service intervals as a consequence, it was sent to current 300 owners in a confidential memo according to You Tube influencer John Cadogan.
Yes, we were aware that it should not be driven, temps settled down on road and never did rise again.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This is in no way taking away anything from the courage, determination and confidence of @globalgregors
Aussies somewhat mythologise the interior and of course the reality doesn’t stack up.
Please don’t take us too seriously: it’s just car camping at scale.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That may depend on the corrugations on the Great Central Road which can destroy a car or truck. I was sure glad to get off the NT side of the road when I did the trip, I was being shaken to pieces, no matter I tried.
It wasn’t too bad, investment in the Outback Way is ongoing and sections are recently graded.

It could be that coming through in the autumn/winter with a bit of water around would cause one to slow down and thereby make the worst of the corrugations. This time of year you can sit on a higher speed and smooth them out somewhat.

On this topic, by far the worst surfaces are coming out of the Simpson inbound to Dalhousie Springs.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Aussies somewhat mythologise the interior and of course the reality doesn’t stack up.
Please don’t take us too seriously: it’s just car camping at scale.
Yes, we love car camping :). I drove the GCR + 7000klms in a $1500 vehicle for charity over 12 days, it's character building, we love the outback and all the challenges it brings when you undertake such a feat in an ill prepared chariot.
My comment was more to the boldness of taking a new marque to such places. ( you know..boldly go where no Grenadier has gone before) :)

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, no issues with temperature (engine, gearbox or transfer) and as discussed elsewhere we were probably chimping those offroad screens more than we should have. It did want 1.5L of oil though which illustrates how hard the engine was working in these conditions… and perhaps speaks to the performance of 0W oils at high temps.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, no issues with temperature (engine, gearbox or transfer) and as discussed elsewhere we were probably chimping those offroad screens more than we should have. It did want 1.5L of oil though which illustrates how hard the engine was working in these conditions… and perhaps speaks to the performance of 0W oils at high temps.
Most new diesel engines will use oil initially, then they should stop. This has been the case with our new work vehicles (Merc)

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Most new diesel engines will use oil initially, then they should stop. This has been the case with our new work vehicles (Merc)
Yes, I’m presuming this is the case. There is no signs of leaks or any indication of oil pressure issues.
No change in operating temps or other signs of distress.

Sam

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
My comment was more to the boldness of taking a new marque to such places. ( you know..boldly go where no Grenadier has gone before) :)
it'd be the software that would have me worried.

imagine... when Elon goes off to colonise Mars... "bong - bong - bong" [locks spaceship, unlocks spaceship, clears fault codes... posts on internet forum...]

Back
Top Bottom