The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Front parking sensors and Roo bar. Any pics of behind the front bumper and sensor mountings?

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:07 AM
Reaction score
my front parking sensors have never been ok, they alarm all the time even when nothing is there and they sound a continuous tone with no variable tone as you approach something. I have been forced to turn them off completely. I was hoping the software update would fix it but no change.

They tell me that many other with roo bars have had the same issue. My agent who have been great with everything throw their hands in the air as INEOS seek to have no solution, they advise holding down reset to reboot the head unit but that does nothing.

Has anyone removed a front bar and have any pics of the sensor mounts? I am wondering if it would be possible to remove them and how hard it is and how much play in the wire, and 3D print a new mount that slots in the same place but extends the sensor out a little further to miss the roo bar mount?

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:07 PM
Reaction score
I am curious how they've changed anything, other than through software, to prevent errant alarms. I haven't had any alarms other than 2 or 3 quick beeps while coming to a stop downhill in the rain. I assume it's from water spilling across the sensors. Since I put the bar on before I got my first tank of gas, I can't say if it's due to the bar or not but I doubt it's the bars because it never goes off other times.

I installed the bar myself. It's clear of the sensors on the bumper. I took these pics of inside the bullbar mounts if that helps.

Attachments

• IMG_9124.jpeg
    IMG_9124.jpeg
    545.9 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_9127.jpeg
    IMG_9127.jpeg
    570.9 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_9126.jpeg
    IMG_9126.jpeg
    599.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_9125.jpeg
    IMG_9125.jpeg
    708.7 KB · Views: 56

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Mine is essentially unusable, seems like it’s not everyone with a bar, but it seems that everyone with a problem has a bar. Thanks for the pics but i need the pics behind the bumper where the sensors mount

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Andrew,
I thought the 4 front parking sensors are mounted across the bottom lip of the front bumper - thus below the roo bar?

ddv

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Mine is essentially unusable, seems like it’s not everyone with a bar, but it seems that everyone with a problem has a bar. Thanks for the pics but i need the pics behind the bumper where the sensors mount
The fact that the sensors and roo bar conflict on some vehicles and not others (they are fine on mine) makes me wonder whether it's a matter of how the sensors are installed. I wonder whether the sensors send out the sensing rays (or whatever they are) evenly around the full 360 degrees of the sensor. I wonder if some are installed so that the rays emit directly left and right and thus interfere with the central supports of the roo bar (especially the two more central sensors). On others, the sensors may have been inserted such that the rays emit more up and down and thus miss the roo bar supports. If this was the case then rotating the sensor 90 degrees might help. This is all sheer speculation and is based on zero knowledge of how sensors work but it is hard to make sense of the variable situation between vehicles with roo bars and sensors

ddv

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The cars without a roo bar have almost identical covers bolted in that same spot.
Thanks. There goes my theory unless minor differences are still having an impact. But I gather that you have both so you would be the best judge

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks. There goes my theory unless minor differences are still having an impact. But I gather that you have both so you would be the best judge
The covers on the NAS bumper are plastic where the roo bar is steel. I guess that might make a difference? Here's a pic of the covers and what's behind 'em.IMG_9107.jpegIMG_9112.jpeg

Greg

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My Grenadier was delivered without its bullbar as they were waiting on stock. No problems at all with false parking sensor warnings.
I had the bullbar fitted at the same time as the full software update so can't definitively say what is the cause - but I now get false front parking sensor warnings.
Not every time I drive it, and not often enough to really annoy me, but as I was getting none previously something is obviously causing the issue.
If it is the bullbar causing the problem, a packer of some description (thick nylon washer maybe) bringing the front of the sensor level with the bullbar support bracket maybe a fix.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
If it is the bullbar causing the problem, a packer of some description (thick nylon washer maybe) bringing the front of the sensor level with the bullbar support bracket maybe a fix.
Or at least a diagnostic test . I'd try it right now if I wasn't stuck in an airport!

Jiman01

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:07 PM
Reaction score
my front parking sensors have never been ok, they alarm all the time even when nothing is there and they sound a continuous tone with no variable tone as you approach something. I have been forced to turn them off completely. I was hoping the software update would fix it but no change.

They tell me that many other with roo bars have had the same issue. My agent who have been great with everything throw their hands in the air as INEOS seek to have no solution, they advise holding down reset to reboot the head unit but that does nothing.

Has anyone removed a front bar and have any pics of the sensor mounts? I am wondering if it would be possible to remove them and how hard it is and how much play in the wire, and 3D print a new mount that slots in the same place but extends the sensor out a little further to miss the roo bar mount?
This is just a guess because they appear similar to other sensors I’ve removed when replacing bumpers. There is a wire/plug that needs to be undone from the inside, and after that there should be a tab(s) which will allow the sensor to slide out...normally two. IME, the sensor itself and the outer ring of the sensor are two separate pieces that snap together with the tabs I mentioned. The removal is all done from the inside of the bumper.

IG should provide an angled sensor for the two inner sensors, because the roo bar bracket that are right next to the sensor seems like the issue. Sensors that have a different FOV might work🤷🏻‍♂️. I’m assuming those plugs on the roo-bar bracket are to cover up the mounting bolts?

Last edited:

ddv

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This is just a guess because they appear similar to other sensors I’ve removed when replacing bumpers. There is a wire/plug that needs to be undone from the inside, and after that there should be a tab(s) which will allow the sensor to slide out...normally two. IME, the sensor itself and the outer ring of the sensor are two separate pieces that snap together with the tabs I mentioned. The removal is all done from the inside of the bumper.

IG should provide an angled sensor for the two inner sensors, because the roo bar bracket that are right next to the sensor seems like the issue. Sensors that have a different FOV might work🤷🏻‍♂️. I’m assuming those plugs on the roo-bar bracket are to cover up the mounting bolts?
yes, the plugs on the roo bar bracket cover up mounting bolts but there is some space between the bracket and the bolt. A shallow sensor could fit there. Alternatively a spacer could be mounted on the front of the roo br bracket and the sensor place in it if the wires from the sensor also this much movement (which is essentially what Andrew seemed to be asking initially)

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The fact that the sensors and roo bar conflict on some vehicles and not others (they are fine on mine) makes me wonder whether it's a matter of how the sensors are installed. I wonder whether the sensors send out the sensing rays (or whatever they are) evenly around the full 360 degrees of the sensor. I wonder if some are installed so that the rays emit directly left and right and thus interfere with the central supports of the roo bar (especially the two more central sensors). On others, the sensors may have been inserted such that the rays emit more up and down and thus miss the roo bar supports. If this was the case then rotating the sensor 90 degrees might help. This is all sheer speculation and is based on zero knowledge of how sensors work but it is hard to make sense of the variable situation between vehicles with roo bars and sensors
I asked if they cold be rotated, that was my first thought, my agent tells me they only go in one way.

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Is it a particular sensor position that's firing for you? The two middle sensors are visible from the top with creative lighting. I had a poke around just now and they look pretty shallow. Maybe 2 or 3cm. If I look from above towards the outside, I can see the green and orange wires feeding it from behind. Can't get a photo though.

Knysna

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Just installed the bull bar and I’m getting parking sensor issues. I have a North American truck and imported the bull bar from Australia. I’ve deactivated them do to the nuisance

Mikeb62

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have had roo bar from delivery and turned my front sensors off as getting same issue. Below is from an Accessories brochure I downloaded at some point. I'm not sure when and where from. Document has no ID or version number. But you'll see * that denotes "not compatible with Park Assist Front".

1712990570779.jpg

ddv

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Just installed the bull bar and I’m getting parking sensor issues. I have a North American truck and imported the bull bar from Australia. I’ve deactivated them do to the nuisance
The accessories pamphlet for the Australian Roo Bar indicates that it is incompatible with the front parking sensors (see footnote in attached image). Not exactly a prominent warning but it indicates that it is not an unusual issue. That being said, I have both a roo bar and front sensors and am not experiencing a problem. Go figureScreenshot 2024-04-13 at 3.45.54 pm.jpg

Knysna

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks very much for the information at least I know now. I actually just have one that's being annoyed. Maybe I'll try something at some point.

Cheers

roverso

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Maybe Ineos truly wanted to copy the old Defender including unique British electronics. There was a reason you could get replacement smoke for Lucas electrical components.

All joking aside there seems to be some bugs in the system and I found another way to turn the alarms off and still have a functioning front parking monitor. I have a NAS spec Ineos and ordered the factory Bull Bar from Australia. After installation I had the alarms from the parking sensor, so I turned off the Front Park Distance Control. However, then when I was driving I would get a very random clicking even with the Over Speed Warning off. So I turned off the Speed Change Info (which appears to stay stored) and the clicking stopped.

Then to experiment I turned the Front Park Distance Control back on and tested its function which worked, indicating close objects in the front.

To recap if you add a Bull Bar and are getting an alarm turn off the "Speed Change Info". This at least worked on my car.

Update: After additional driving just turning off the "Speed Change Info" and not the "Front Park Distance Control" does stop the vehicle from alarming with bull bar, but at the cost of making the front sensors extra sensitive. So probably best to turn both off until there is an update from Ineos.

Attachments

• IMG_4795.jpg
    IMG_4795.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom