The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Diesel Engine cooling noise diesel

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:46 AM
Reaction score
Seems very high current for just an electric fan.
Yes perhaps for one, but we have at least two if you include the one in the right hand bumper wing; and of course other things could also be drawing power as per your water pump suggestion.

So far nobody has posted about opening the bonnet or getting a head underneath and seeing if all the noise is coming from the main fan or side fan (less likely given it's size) or both ~ or indeed somewhere completely different!

Is there an electric water pump also operating?
I believe it to be operated off the front belt.

I'm curious why the fan(s) are running at an indicated 90c coolant temp, when the primary thermostat only begins to open at 88c and the secondary coolant thermostat only begins to open at 105c (if the info from the generic BMW manual is applicable).

Local time
Reaction score
IG Spal fan.jpg I had a quiet day so here is some information from the Spal fan catalogue. Using an image from the media section the specification sheet attached appears to be the closest Spal fan used by the Grenadier as its main cooling fan. Using the spec sheet the fan is variable speed to a max 1kw power which is around 83 amps at full power in a 12v system. Sound at around 86dBA at full speed.
This may help people understand their vehicle more.
Added some info for the General Cab fan used on the RH cooler in the bumper. Comparing a photo from the media section to the catalogue for reference so not sure if it is the correct dimensions. The small fan at full speed adds another 6 amps to the current draw. So with both fans flat out that is about 90 amp current draw leaving 10 to 15 amp left for systems still operating in the wake mode.

Attachments

• SPAL FanVA164-ABL1002HT_R-124A.pdf
    727.2 KB · Views: 27
  • General cab fan 167mm.pdf
    329 KB · Views: 14
  • General Cab RH fan IG.jpg
    General Cab RH fan IG.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
By some coincidence, I repeated the journey that got my fan whirring in the earlier post this morning; and with the same result.

This time I had the opportunity to pop the bonnet and have a careful look around. I can confirm that the the main radiator fan was knocking out some sound and much air (no surprise), no belts were moving with the engine off (also no surprise), additionally the bumper wing fan was also spinning with quite a draft and also adding to the noise.

The bumper wing fan (a General Cab unit) continued for approximately 30 seconds after the main radiator fan switched off. On its own, it makes a decent racket.

So adding an allowance for that current draw to the draw indicated from the Spal gets you into the zone shown in the earlier photos without having to look for further current draws.

I had an indicated 110A peak current draw today.

Last edited:

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:46 PM
Reaction score
Mine just did this this morning and this is what it did to the battery voltageView attachment 7829579
I'm wondering if your "conniption" at the outset of your journey, i e. the transient limp mode might have been the result of a sensor glitch which had mistakenly signalled a clogged DPF.
In the first couple of weeks of ownership the fans in mine inexplicably roared on several occasions as per your experience this morning. However it has since settled down and occurred only once in the last 6000 km.( a short 6km trip from a cold start to the local Ineos dealer two weeks ago it occured on arrival. The tech grinned and assured me that it was not uncommon!)
Hope yr adventure is going well :D

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I had the roaring fans for the first time yesterday. Was driving and there was a humming sound in the background so I turned off the a/c, then the seats then turned on the start/stop etc but it still persisted. Wasn't until I got home I realised it was the fan(s) running, and they continued to do so for quite sometime after locking the car. Odo is at 560 miles and was after an hours drive or so. Will check battery later as by the sound and the large amount of air intake it must use a large amount of juice.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:46 AM
Reaction score
As the cooling sound happened two times within the last 6400 km I think it is not a real problem. But of course my opinion would change immediately as soon as I try to sneak into a hunting area just to realise that my car wants to camouflage as a starting F-16…
Anyway the 🐗 and roe deers probably would hear my „sneaking“ anyway 😀

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm wondering if your "conniption" at the outset of your journey, i e. the transient limp mode might have been the result of a sensor glitch which had mistakenly signalled a clogged DPF.
In the first couple of weeks of ownership the fans in mine inexplicably roared on several occasions as per your experience this morning. However it has since settled down and occurred only once in the last 6000 km.( a short 6km trip from a cold start to the local Ineos dealer two weeks ago it occured on arrival. The tech grinned and assured me that it was not uncommon!)
Have to say I have been getting more and new error messages since the fan episode. Several times today it has been telling me to select drive, neutral or reverse, while I have been driving happily along.

Barney

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
in der Nähe von Frankfurt a. M. Deutschland
As the cooling sound happened two times within the last 6400 km I think it is not a real problem. But of course my opinion would change immediately as soon as I try to sneak into a hunting area just to realise that my car wants to camouflage as a starting F-16…
Anyway the � and roe deers probably would hear my „sneaking“ anyway �
It also happened to me in the station, the car made a lot of noise when it was stationary, like a street sweeper. :ROFLMAO:

KDJDGrenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
DenisM, that is exactly what happened to mine. During the first week the fans went like a hovercraft. Now i have nearly 4000km it rarely happens. Maybe only once.

WPP

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Had the same fancy "afterburner jet noise" after turning the diesel engine off. It happened a couple of times. After the software update it's gone. According to my dealer it was a faulty sensor reading telling the fan to go full speed.

JOB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The roaring fans is symptomatic of when the engine is completing a DPF Regen. Nothing to worry about, happens to ours roughly every 450 miles. When I have been driving and this happens, I switch to the off road screen which displays accurate engine temp and wait for it to drop back to 92/94 (normal operating) before switching off. It has meant extending a couple of journeys by 10 minutes or so.

At least with the Grenadier you can tell when it is doing a regen as my other Euro 6 diesels I've had, you don't hear the fan until you have shut the engine off which can lead to problems of diesel contamination in the oil, etc.

Edit: I posted about this before, here - https://www.theineosforum.com/threads/diesel-regeneration.12412787/#post-1333204088

Tanters

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Very helpful info on here, thanks. Think I had my first regen last night. Exciting-ish!
So no symbol on the dash to indicate it’s happening, right?
Elec probs around car play after the event.

Are you better off keeping engine running when it’s happening or just lock up, walk away and leave it do it’s thing?

TD5-90

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Are you better off keeping engine running when it’s happening or just lock up, walk away and leave it do it’s thing?
Best would be to give it a 10...15min drive at high load & high rpm, as has been suggested here at several occasions. This will quickly & cleanly finish the regeneration cycle and give the least diesel contamiation in engine oil.

Reactions: JOB

Tanters

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Best would be to give it a 10...15min drive at high load & high rpm, as has been suggested here at several occasions. This will quickly & cleanly finish the regeneration cycle and give the least diesel contamiation in engine oil.
Ok, that’s sound advice. Appreciate it 👍

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have the diesel. It was 35 deg the other day and my fan kicked in once I parked up. 1st time I heard it since owning the vehicle. Pretty loud though but didn't worry me much. Got a few looks from others in the park probably wondering why the car was left on :sneaky:

Nguni

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
It‘s a feature, not a bug ;)

Most likely just the DPF regenerating. For that it needs quite a high temperature on the exhaust side. When the vehicle is shutdown during the process, the fan will run for few minutes after engine shutdown to cool everything off.
I agree it happened to me too - i suppose the car does not know when you will stop - DPF burn creates lots of heat ( and smell when new ) so i suppose the fan is used to vent under the car but a bit disconcerting when it happens for the first time when you have stopped

chrsbe

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I had several modern VW, BMW and Mercedes diesel cars. All do this from time to time. Regenerating while drinking a sip of ad blue. Totally normal and fine. It's always loud but grenadier is the loudest so far....

Back
Top Bottom