The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Crap, I have some kind of an oil leak! (Transfer case output flange)

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
9:13 AM
Reaction score
After reading some more about CHF oil, its color and low viscosity, I'm guess that's what is leaking. So is that also the same oil in the transmission? Or only in the power steering fluid reservoir for our vehicles?
You say it's odourless , IME gear oil is very distinctive, and theodour of the oil specced for the Grenadier TC is described as "Characteristic" in the product literature.

Local time
12:13 AM
Reaction score
Wipe it away where you can find it. Clean the pipes going away from the reservoir. Check the area around the reservoir.

Sit in the car start the engine and have someone steering. Watch the reservoir, pipes, connections, especially to the pump and power steering box. Use a torch.

Nothing? Drive and check then again.

Then check if oil returns. Remember, if it was spilled it could return without a leak, so try to clean it as good as possible.

However, if it was just spilled (when could that had happen?) and you have driven many miles and parked there several times, you should have seen the spots earlier.

AWo
Yes use carb cleaner to get the casting/patrs super clean.

Chadd7

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:13 PM
Reaction score
Wipe it away where you can find it. Clean the pipes going away from the reservoir. Check the area around the reservoir.

Sit in the car start the engine and have someone steering. Watch the reservoir, pipes, connections, especially to the pump and power steering box. Use a torch.

Nothing? Drive and check then again.

Then check if oil returns. Remember, if it was spilled it could return without a leak, so try to clean it as good as possible.

However, if it was just spilled (when could that had happen?) and you have driven many miles and parked there several times, you should have seen the spots earlier.

AWo
Thanks for your advice. I should have been more clear. I never filled the power steering fluid. I was just saying that the fluid around the outside of the reservoir near the cap indicated that either when the dealer filled it, it spilled, or it was leaking under pressure while driving.

I have cleaned it up and will drive today to check if it leaks from under the cap again.

Another member here (Clark Kent) told me offline that It could be the ZF fluid leaking from the rear seal of my transmission and then traveling to the front face of the transfer box. I think he's on to something there. But a transmission leak at 2000 miles? ugh.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Appreciate your comments. It does seem to be a slow leak, but definitely not melted wax. It's much too thin to be that. Curious what goes in this black cap? Power steering fluid?? I opened the hood to see if anything would give me clues and saw that there was some evidence of overflow by this black cap, but not sure if that was simply while filling or if it was overfilled and somehow leaking. Wondering if that could have possibly travelled to below the car where the transfer case is. I checked levels and it seemed properly filled. But not sure if any of it leaked through the edges of the cap under pressure.
View attachment 7842005
To answer your question, yes that's the PS fluid reservoir; if I recall correctly, the cap is self venting, so a little weep or residue around the top of the canister is somewhat normal

Chadd7

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
To answer your question, yes that's the PS fluid reservoir; if I recall correctly, the cap is self venting, so a little weep or residue around the top of the canister is somewhat normal
Ok then it must be the transmission seal.

Chadd7

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Left my Gren at the dealership so they can take the time to trace where the leak is coming from. It wasn't obvious from what they could see. So I'm just waiting for an update Monday. Curry Service is great btw, staff and manager Moya were very helpful.

Last edited:

SkiBum1

GG-4567
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:13 PM
Reaction score
It's slightly yellowish and still no odor. It's oily but not particularly thick. You can see the drops forming at the end of the arrow.
View attachment 7842003
We have a warranty so just call the dealer and let them figure it out. We need to put the dealers under some pressure here as that is what they are contractually obligated to do for us!

Chadd7

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
So the update I received yesterday was that the transfer case is leaking. They have reported it to Ineos Engineering at the mother ship to see how to proceed. Replace the whole thing, a gasket, or whatever. One thing that makes me nervous is that you guys all said this is not likely the transfer case because of the type of oil that was leaking (light colored and odorless).

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
So the update I received yesterday was that the transfer case is leaking. They have reported it to Ineos Engineering at the mother ship to see how to proceed. Replace the whole thing, a gasket, or whatever. One thing that makes me nervous is that you guys all said this is not likely the transfer case because of the type of oil that was leaking (light colored and odorless).
That just shows how much we know...

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Let the Dealer and IA fix it. Make sure it is super clean when you get home, and and keep an eye on it. Chances are it will be fixed (y)

Grey Wolf

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Another update. Output shaft seal needs replacement. It has been ordered. Not sure how long it will take.
Isn't the transfer case made in America, then shipped to Europe so that it can then be shipped back to America bolted to a British designed, French built, German powered, Austrian engineered car 🤔

Chadd7

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Isn't the transfer case made in America, then shipped to Europe so that it can then be shipped back to America bolted to a British designed, French built, German powered, Austrian engineered car 🤔
Bahaha. That’s why the whole carbon footprint thing is BS. They need to include Scope 3 emissions. Btw I think the transfer case is made in Mexico. Close enough.

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:13 PM
Reaction score
Mexico. ¡Ay, caramba!

Vineyard Matt

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Grey wolf, that made me chuckle! Think we might be near Grenadier neighbours, my lad goes to school in Woodbridge :), be good to have a local contact if you're up for it. I love the car, it works for me in the vines.

All the best,

Vineyard Matt

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Bahaha. That’s why the whole carbon footprint thing is BS. They need to include Scope 3 emissions. Btw I think the transfer case is made in Mexico. Close enough.
Mexico is in America, Central America.

Back
Top Bottom