The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Coffee... I'm sure we all have the same preferences, right?

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:51 PM
Reaction score
Let the in depth coffee connoisseur conversation continue ...

To quote @Krabby from the last thread....
Plus, we all know proper coffee enthusiasts like instant coffee:

View attachment 7831618
I'll say my standard is a cup of instant, decaf, imported from Canada, Tim Hortons... Or, when we are in the North, a decaf double double (or "décaféiné deux deux")

cjsmith

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Grind the beans, strong black coffee is best for me. Lavazza is good but so many local coffee roasters its fun to try them all. Like Ethiopian, Jamaican, Hawaiian,,,I need the caffein though.

MTNDOG

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:51 PM
Reaction score
1699023860923.pngGrowing up this, this is what I thought coffee was. ......Now, during the work week Peet's Major Dickinson or Columbian. Weekends, grinding beans from local roasters like Four Seasons coffee roaster. On occasion roast my own, but that has resulted in varying levels of success, mostly lack of success.

Local time
Reaction score
I mentioned previously that I roast my own beans. My (Vietnamese) in-laws want their beans roasted to almost beyond a Full Italian... Me, I like a full city roast at the most. Here is the comparison, for you "afficionados". Note the "extra dark italian" has bee taken well beyond "second crack" and releases its oil, while the "full city" is taken to just before second crack. (sorry if this is further than the discussion needs, bt you asked for it!

Attachments

• 20211103_123844.jpg
    20211103_123844.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 22

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I mentioned previously that I roast my own beans. My (Vietnamese) in-laws want their beans roasted to almost beyond a Full Italian... Me, I like a full city roast at the most. Here is the comparison, for you "afficionados". Note the "extra dark italian" has bee taken well beyond "second crack" and releases its oil, while the "full city" is taken to just before second crack. (sorry if this is further than the discussion needs, bt you asked for it!
Hi Fidei Defensor, I am a caffeine addict. There I said it and now feel better, especially since I have downed my first cup already. I have always found it counter intuitive that the darker the coffee roast, the less caffeine. Love the taste of darker roast, just wish it had more caffeine. DaBull

MTNDOG

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I guess my ideal is somewhere in-between those 2....... I could talk coffee and cars all day, so keep the discussion going.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
7:51 AM
Reaction score
Every Thursday the bushland around our fills with the scent of roasting beans. Just happen to be about 1/4 mile as the crow flies from this local business

Local time
10:51 PM
Reaction score
At home: beans black as night, through an Aeropress.

Coffee shop: espresso (dark roast if they've got it).

But according to the local hipster barista, dark roasts are for Philistines :D

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score

MTNDOG

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
At home: beans black as night, through an Aeropress.

Coffee shop: espresso (dark roast if they've got it).

But according to the local hipster barista, dark roasts are for Philistines :D

You can tell ole Pumpkin Spice Latte, that I enjoy my dark roast just fine, I may not be cultured, but there is nothing better than a Saturday morning, sitting on my deck, drinking a fresh cup of dark roast with my dog laying at my feet. Ive also been known to drink light beer when offered, would probably go to a Monster Truck show if someone asked me and depending on the choices available at the time, consider a burger from a fast food restaurant gourmet. 😀

chrsbe

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:51 PM
Reaction score
How do you prepare coffee while overlanding? I am using a traditional Bialetti brikka and grounded Lavazza. Thinking of investing in a 9barista.https://9barista.com/ Has anyone had a chance to try a coffee made with it?

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
How do you prepare coffee while overlanding?
Inverter powers the Amazon-brand electric kettle, which warms the water... Then it gets poured into some insulated travel mugs that have the appropriate amount of instant coffee already in it... A little bit of creamer, and boom. Coffee on the road.

Before we had lots of electric available, all of the same process, except the heating source was a small burner that screws onto an isobutane canister and heated the water in a GSI Kettle

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Dining out I prefer espresso or an "Americano" made with a fairly dark roast. Oddly I don't like Starbucks (their liqueur is decent however) but was recently swayed to their medium roast instant by two well respected Northwest restaurateurs. We were fall fishing high in the Rockies with no need to dawn patrol so breakfasts were leisurely. Knowing my companions well I expected quality morning fare - which I got - but their coffee choice was surprising. I bought the tequilla.

For the rare times I drink coffee at home I have reverted to a Jet Pot/Rocket pot which is slightly less offensive perk. I gave up on french presses years ago because they require a short steep and too much coffee to get decent flavor.

Local time
Reaction score
I have to admit that when camping/overlanding I always used a (Jetboil) french press. Yes, it uses a lot of coffee, but I can get a great mug of coffee, that is better for warming you in the morning, Yes, maybe an espresso is "slightly" better, but does not have the volume I need when crawling out of my tent!. And I can share with others (and overlanding when with friends is all about sharing!!!!! )

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:51 AM
Reaction score
I have to admit that when camping/overlanding I always used a (Jetboil) french press. Yes, it uses a lot of coffee, but I can get a great mug of coffee, that is better for warming you in the morning, Yes, maybe an espresso is "slightly" better, but does not have the volume I need when crawling out of my tent!. And I can share with others (and overlanding when with friends is all about sharing!!!!! )
I drink a double espresso for the coffee and plain water for thirst.

Back
Top Bottom