The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas Check your transfer case for leaks

PNW_IG

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:12 PM
Reaction score
I noticed a fluid leak last night while installing skid plates. Fluid had collected on the cooler lines leading to/from the transfer case... Couldn't find fluid above the soft part of the line, leads me to believe a problem with the line itself?
I thought it was a bad line as well but dealer said it was not. Another person here shared a picture that looked like mine and it was an output shaft seal. Here is a picture of what mine looked like. Any chance your rig is 8/23 build date?
IMG_5751.jpg

PNW_IG

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:12 PM
Reaction score
Thanks, will do. How do you locate the build date?
Of course, no problem. Build date is on a sticker on the driver's door sill.

Chadd7

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:12 PM
Reaction score
Mine was wet at the base with little clear drops coming down by the seam

• Mind Blown
Reactions: CB

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
11:12 AM
Reaction score
So these failures represent a bad batch of seals , or were they incorrectly installed?

300chris

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Having one with a bad front seal (successfully repaired), it appears these are all from around the same build time, so I’m strongly suspicious they had a bad batch of seals.. not an Ineos problem pre se, but rather a Tremec issue.

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hello All,
Well I’m at my mechanic with a task list of items today along with check for leaking transfer case and unfortunately I’ve joined the Club. So question at hand for the moment -
1. I found the fluids reference sheet under resources but no official brand listed - anyone know the brand?
2. Where do we check for the fluid level (feel that I have read this at one point)?
3. My Discovery has a leaking transfer case that is a traditional proper British leak so she is simply checked whenever in the shop and topped up if needed. But she is 28 yrs old. This vehicle is <5 months. So does a leak mean immediate replacement? Wait till 10k service (she is at 5600)? Other? I’m 5 hrs away from ineos repair. This part is not BMW.
4. Any other thoughts/ suggestions welcome.
Thank you to everyone on this Forum!!

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Here are 2 photos forgot to attach with original post.

Attachments

• 9C97001B-4D1B-4269-B624-C7D89C046C75.jpeg
    9C97001B-4D1B-4269-B624-C7D89C046C75.jpeg
    98.8 KB · Views: 34
  • FCB34A16-86C4-484D-A1FB-3E2DD6FFA402.jpeg
    FCB34A16-86C4-484D-A1FB-3E2DD6FFA402.jpeg
    82.3 KB · Views: 34

dreamalaska

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:12 PM
Reaction score

300chris

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hello All,
Well I’m at my mechanic with a task list of items today along with check for leaking transfer case and unfortunately I’ve joined the Club. So question at hand for the moment -
1. I found the fluids reference sheet under resources but no official brand listed - anyone know the brand?
2. Where do we check for the fluid level (feel that I have read this at one point)?
3. My Discovery has a leaking transfer case that is a traditional proper British leak so she is simply checked whenever in the shop and topped up if needed. But she is 28 yrs old. This vehicle is <5 months. So does a leak mean immediate replacement? Wait till 10k service (she is at 5600)? Other? I’m 5 hrs away from ineos repair. This part is not BMW.
4. Any other thoughts/ suggestions welcome.
Thank you to everyone on this Forum!!
I had the same leak. It was the front output shaft seal. Has been fixed, and totally dry ever since. Think Tremec had a bad batch of seals (mine was ~august build date)

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I had the same leak. It was the front output shaft seal. Has been fixed, and totally dry ever since. Think Tremec had a bad batch of seals (mine was ~august build date)
Thank you for replying! What was the fix - breakdown and replace output shaft seal? Or replacement?
We are going to drain the transfer case today to learn how much fluid has leaked and replace fluid. My mechanic is just over 1 hr away so going to do as much to figure things out with them then be prepared to arrange appropriate warranty work at dealer and minimise overall down time. Cheers!

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Back
Top Bottom