The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Camping stove recommendation

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
3:10 PM
Reaction score
I picked up a Jetboil Genesis from REI for 100off not to long ago. Haven’t had a chance to use it outside yet but it works great in my living room. Very compact, may only last 10 years instead of the 20 for the cook partner but easily half the size and a quarter the weight.

Ragman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:10 PM
Reaction score
How often will you be using it and what type of cooking do you do? Budget?

Local time
3:10 PM
Reaction score
I lit a vermont state park picnic table on fire using whitegas in a primus, so anymore I stick to the jetboil and cast iron over three hours of coals from a fire.

Rupert

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:10 PM
Reaction score
Partner Steel best on the market, lasts forever, best cooking!

DezRoamer

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:10 PM
Reaction score
I own several stoves and have used even more. Currently, I still use my old Coleman two-burner for more than me trips, and my Jetboil for solo. The Coleman is 25yo and as good as the first year of use. Jetboil now offers a nice new two-burner that I would really like to try, but it's pushing $400.
I bought the Jet Boil Genesis Base camp $400! yikes. But I got to say, the thing is very versatile. It boils and simmers better than any other stove I've owned. I do have a small refillable propane tank so I don't mess with the expensive 1lb disposables.
I've owned more stoves than I care to admit and this one was the most expensive. If I'm actually cooking a meal and not just boiling water this is a great stove.
However, if I'm only boiling water, for a tea or dehydrated meal etc,,, the MSR Reactor is in a class by itself. Mine will boil a liter of water from dead start to full boil in about 90 seconds. And it sips fuel. Compact, and very packable for limited space. But it doesn't simmer. This is the old Reactor! I probably bought this thing ten years ago so I can't verify if the new one is as good. It too is/was expensive. Then it was $165 now I think it's around $240 maybe?

Back
Top Bottom