The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas Utility Wagon, or Panels(vs Windows) for USA?

Local time
8:57 PM
Reaction score
Previously in the USA configurator we were allowed to add Panels instead of 3rd row Windows. But that option is now gone. Anyone know if that's official, and WHY?

Also, anyone know of any plans for a 2seater Utility Wagon (ie no rear seat) for the USA?

Kastenwagen/Troopy <love>.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
The panels were associated with the utility wagon which we will not get. The two seater is the utility version and it has been indicated that we will only get the noncommercial version.

Local time
Reaction score
The panels were associated with the utility wagon which we will not get. The two seater is the utility version and it has been indicated that we will only get the noncommercial version.

Thx, but;
--panels were previously available on the USA Station Wagon. Here's one of my previous builds;
IG.jpg
--and LAME on the Utility. Why do we Americans always get shafted? IA can't get NHTSA/CARB to stamp an approval for a 2 seater?? Makes no sense to me.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:57 PM
Reaction score
Previously in the USA configurator we were allowed to add Panels instead of 3rd row Windows. But that option is now gone. Anyone know if that's official, and WHY?

Also, anyone know of any plans for a 2seater Utility Wagon (ie no rear seat) for the USA?

Kastenwagen/Troopy <love>.
This is what each country is getting as of January 2023
So you will have a choice of a 5 seat, petrol Station Wagon or ...................................
1677553428101.png

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thx, but;
--panels were previously available on the USA Station Wagon. Here's one of my previous builds;
View attachment 7804537
--and LAME on the Utility. Why do we Americans always get shafted? IA can't get NHTSA/CARB to stamp an approval for a 2 seater?? Makes no sense to me.
Yeah, correct - I technically have the panels as options on a Trialmaster, as the 5-seat utility wagon is also unavailable in Oz.

May need to check that it’s not a configurator glitch? Else I suspect gull wings will be available soon enough, as an alternative.

Local time
Reaction score
Yeah, correct - I technically have the panels as options on a Trialmaster, as the 5-seat utility wagon is also unavailable in Oz.

May need to check that it’s not a configurator glitch? Else I suspect gull wings will be available soon enough, as an alternative.

I've ran thru the Configurator a few times today; doesn't appear to be a glitch. SO many options that were available over a year ago in the USA have been axed.
Very strange with a global vehicle, that they would now prohibit the USA from spec'ing 3rd row panels.
I'm sure Front Runner Outfitters and 2 other global suppliers will quickly come out with gullwing panels/windows for the aftermarket--so as others have said, it'd be smarter to equip your IG with windows if you want to replace with gullwings.

This will be fun!

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:57 AM
Reaction score
i did hear that US spec was only windows, no panels in the rear and that was months ago. Could be to do with safety regs?

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I've ran thru the Configurator a few times today; doesn't appear to be a glitch. SO many options that were available over a year ago in the USA have been axed.
Very strange with a global vehicle, that they would now prohibit the USA from spec'ing 3rd row panels.
I'm sure Front Runner Outfitters and 2 other global suppliers will quickly come out with gullwing panels/windows for the aftermarket--so as others have said, it'd be smarter to equip your IG with windows if you want to replace with gullwings.

This will be fun!
I wasn’t doubting that it’s missing from the configurator… but rather whether the configurator is to be trusted at all just now. If it were me… with a full order book and impatient customers, I’m not sure it’s the first priority.

Local time
Reaction score
Thx to both of you.
Maybe blind spot regulation--if there is such a thing (I'd be surprised, as the NHTSA can't seem to even make vehicles with LED instrument clusters safe for other motorists/pedestrians these days, as these vehicles are often driving around without headlights on at dawn/dusk/night. That will cause more fatalities than a 3rd row panel IMO. <I almost got run over by such an electric vehicle. Off my soapbox>)

Hard to know if the Configurator is up to date or not with IA scrambling to even set up dealers and service centers and such.

Local time
11:57 PM
Reaction score
This is what each country is getting as of January 2023
So you will have a choice of a 5 seat, petrol Station Wagon or ...................................
View attachment 7804541

I suspect this is driven by the fact that if it qualifies as a passenger vehicle, it will subject to an import duty of 2.5%. But if it comes in as a "truck", it will be taxed at ~25%. Hence, that's why ford was bringing in their transit connect as a passenger vehicle and then throwing out the seats to sell the cargo version. https://jalopnik.com/ford-faces-potential-1-3-billion-fine-for-skirting-chi-1847028810

If Ineos sold the cargo versions, they'd have to cost more due to the duty regulations. Of course, they could do what ford did, but that's probably not smart for an upstart.

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thx to both of you.
Maybe blind spot regulation--if there is such a thing (I'd be surprised, as the NHTSA can't seem to even make vehicles with LED instrument clusters safe for other motorists/pedestrians these days, as these vehicles are often driving around without headlights on at dawn/dusk/night. That will cause more fatalities than a 3rd row panel IMO. <I almost got run over by such an electric vehicle. Off my soapbox>)

Hard to know if the Configurator is up to date or not with IA scrambling to even set up dealers and service centers and such.
I'd say the configurator is missing a few things. I noticed that about 2 or 3 months ago the spare tire storage box disappeared off the NA configurator. It's still on every other country's options. I'll just wait and see what's available when the thing gets updated and goes live for orders.

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:57 AM
Reaction score
I think this is because the US approval for vehicles has to be done on a whole vehicle and so each option would have to go through the whole process as a different model. I’d guess this is expensive.. can you guys still chose the safari windows?

Local time
Reaction score
I think this is because the US approval for vehicles has to be done on a whole vehicle and so each option would have to go through the whole process as a different model. I’d guess this is expensive.. can you guys still chose the safari windows?

Weird, I thought I just re-configured weeks ago with the tire storage box (which pretty much a clone of the G-Wagen designs out there; https://www.g-wagenaccessories.com/...with-lockable-compartment-for-mercedes-gwagen)

We could choose Safari windows. I personally haven't tried again as I've decided I don't want them for mine (poptop roof or roof rack interference).

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, safari windows are still on the US config. I'm betting that once the site goes live for orders, it'll have been reworked and everything will be there. Well, I'm hoping....

Local time
11:57 PM
Reaction score
Thx, but;

Because it is all driven by import taxes. 25% on pickups/commercial and 2.5% on passenger vehicles. Read up on the kerfuffle between Ford and the feds regarding the way they bring the transit connect into the US. Ford was bringing them in with full seating and then removing the rear seats once the vehicles are in the US and selling them as commercial vehicles to pay only the 2.5% tax, instead of the 25%.

Local time
Reaction score
Because it is all driven by import taxes. 25% on pickups/commercial and 2.5% on passenger vehicles. Read up on the kerfuffle between Ford and the feds regarding the way they bring the transit connect into the US. Ford was bringing them in with full seating and then removing the rear seats once the vehicles are in the US and selling them as commercial vehicles to pay only the 2.5% tax, instead of the 25%.

Thx Sphinx. Makes sense on question #2, however I'm now wondering what IG does on the Utility Wagons to cover the battery area, yet make it a smooth floor surface like here (as it doesn't look like they could import w/ rear seats and then remove the seats and have a flat 2nd row);
2022-grenadier-utility-wagon-ineos-cd5hbassssu0p1ted7x3fk.jpeg

Still curious why 3rd row panels are no longer available in the USA. Does NHTSA/FMVSS see that as being for Commercial vehicles only--ie non-Commercial vehicles have to have 3rd row windows?

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
@jeremy_matrix it might be as the Land Rover L663 hardtop never made it here to US. It was a utilty/van version with only the first row.

Back
Top Bottom