The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Tracker / SOS functionality

beg

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:04 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone got a preferred tracker system in mind when their vehicle arrives I'm going to get one fitted here in uk just looking for ideas as to which is best .

Local time
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=beg userid=8962653 postid=1333018902]Has anyone got a preferred tracker system in mind when their vehicle arrives I'm going to get one fitted here in uk just looking for ideas as to which is best .[/QUOTE]
I didn't realise it had an call system  they don't mention this in the brochure won't this track you with out your notice???

Halliwell Jones Chester

Commercial Account
INEOS Agent/Dealer (verified)
Local time
Reaction score
This will be the SOS call system, unsure how it will work exactly in the Grenadier but in every BMW if an accident occurs it will automatically call you in the car to see if you need emergency services.

If you don't answer them back then they will automatically inform emergency services of your location so they can respond.

You can press the button manually to call yourself.

The tracking side of things will only be transmitted once pressed or activated via an accident. This is how it works on a BMW, as I say not sure if it's the same in the Grenadier but I can't see it being massively different.

@nd

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:04 AM
Reaction score
On my existing car i have a Tracker ( that is the company name) fitted it has been on for 5+ years it notifies me if the alarm goes off or battery disconnected, which is a pain  when it goes in for service. Never had to use their theft recovery system though.
In The UK there are loads to choose from, but most need a subscription payment,

Cavaleiro

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=Orcmurd userid=9014142 postid=1333026929]Apple Air tag could be a cheap option. Hide one in the vehicle somewhere and they have a one year battery life. [/QUOTE]

I already had the idea and a few distributed in the cars. But one of them was not yet properly connected to my Apple account and I always got a notice "an Air tag is traveling with you". Investigated and indeed: within shortest movement time whoever around no matter if OS or Android gets a hint that an AirTag is nearby. This is to prevent AirTags from being used for stalking.

And regardless of the tracker, it seems that professional thieves have jammers or are specifically looking for such trackers. Nevertheless, it gives you a better feeling that you might have a chance if the worst comes to the worst. In the case of a classic car, I think it would be worse in terms of replacement - the Grenadier is easier to replace and in the end the insurance company has to pay for it. ?

cheswick

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:04 PM
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=Cavaleiro userid=8998805 postid=1333031564]

I already had the idea and a few distributed in the cars. But one of them was not yet properly connected to my Apple account and I always got a notice "an Air tag is traveling with you". Investigated and indeed: within shortest movement time whoever around no matter if OS or Android gets a hint that an AirTag is nearby. This is to prevent AirTags from being used for stalking.

And regardless of the tracker, it seems that professional thieves have jammers or are specifically looking for such trackers. Nevertheless, it gives you a better feeling that you might have a chance if the worst comes to the worst. In the case of a classic car, I think it would be worse in terms of replacement - the Grenadier is easier to replace and in the end the insurance company has to pay for it. ?[/QUOTE]

The full parameters of when and where AirTags will alert unsuspecting people that they’re along for the ride are not published by Apple, for good reason. It does seem you get around 8 hours which should be enough to work out where your car went.

Nothing will beat the crooks if they are jamming though.

Cavaleiro

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=Cheswick Jones  Che userid=8996982 postid=1333032272]
It does seem you get around 8 hours which should be enough to work out where your car went.
[/QUOTE]

Personal experience but may not be representative: it took 500m till I got informed that an unkown AirTag is travelling with me. But usually it's said that users will receive an alert at a random period between eight and 24 hours once an unknown AirTag has been detected traveling with them.

@nd

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
In a £60k car i think i would want a bit more than a £25 air tag, might use one on a bicycle ?

@nd

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
i am thinking of getting a dash cam  as well

cheswick

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:04 PM
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=@nd userid=8993362 postid=1333032891]i am thinking of getting a dash cam  as well[/QUOTE]

I’ve got my eye on the Thinkware T700 mainly because it’s the first dashcam I’ve found that has cellular connectivity. I like the idea of being able to get an alert on my phone and then be able to remotely connect to the car and see what the dashcam sees.

@nd

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Looks good, your in Aus don't know if there is similar in uk

Local time
Reaction score
This will be the SOS call system, unsure how it will work exactly in the Grenadier but in every BMW if an accident occurs it will automatically call you in the car to see if you need emergency services.

If you don't answer them back then they will automatically inform emergency services of your location so they can respond.

You can press the button manually to call yourself.

The tracking side of things will only be transmitted once pressed or activated via an accident. This is how it works on a BMW, as I say not sure if it's the same in the Grenadier but I can't see it being massively different.
Hi Steve
Regarding the emergency call function BMW and Porsche will disable the function for you if you don't want it

Last edited:

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
11:04 AM
Reaction score
Avoid
- Tracking
- Remote-controlled stopping of vehicles by the authorities
- Remote-controlled complete lockup of vehicles by the authorities
- Remote speed control
- Remote exhaust and other data read out

... to name just a few.

All this has already been demanded several times by "experts" and politicians in the EU and in Germany.

"ECall" is mandatory for all new registrations since 31 March 2018 by EU Regulation 2015/758.

One can think about for what (real) purpose.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom