The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Spare Wheel

m-j

Reservation Holder
Local time
8:02 AM
Reaction score
If we order the Trial Master with the 17" alloy wheels option, is the spare wheel alloy or steel?

MJ

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
2:02 AM
Reaction score
Interesting question. Many cars use steel for cost saving. You do need a different set of bolts.

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:02 AM
Reaction score
The spare is exposed on the back door so it has to match and all the PT vehicles I've seen have matching spares. Plus I always do a full 5-wheel rotation so it damn well better match.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Crying out for a bespoke "Ineos Forum" spare wheel cover ....:unsure:

With a total weight of approx 40kg (steel rim+ KO2) I'm hoping NOT to have to change it all that often...other than at service time, in which case the young'ns can handle it. On the road however... am thinking a small protrusion from the roof rack with a detachable pulley set (like the simple hay-shed loft arrangement) might just work...

s-l500.jpg

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:02 PM
Reaction score
Crying out for a bespoke "Ineos Forum" spare wheel cover ....:unsure:

With a total weight of approx 40kg (steel rim+ KO2) I'm hoping NOT to have to change it all that often...other than at service time, in which case the young'ns can handle it. On the road however... am thinking a small protrusion from the roof rack with a detachable pulley set (like the simple hay-shed loft arrangement) might just work...

s-l500.jpg
I think you'll find it will be closer to 25kgs, KO2's are 17kgs alone, then 7kgs for the rim

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Can anybody enlighten me please on two issues:
1. the height of the spare wheel centre above the ground; and
2. the diameter of the Trialmaster steel wheel studs ...e.g. are they M14 or M16 ?
Thanks

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:02 AM
Reaction score
Can anybody enlighten me please on two issues:
1. the height of the spare wheel centre above the ground; and
2. the diameter of the Trialmaster steel wheel studs ...e.g. are they M14 or M16 ?
Thanks
@DenisM
the centre of the spare wheel is 125 cm above the ground.

It is definitely not M16. But I'm not sure if it's actually a standard M14. From the diameter it looks like it, but the thread looks not standard to me. I'm on the road and don't have an M14 nut at the moment.

Attachments

• IMG_2062.jpg
    IMG_2062.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@DenisM
the centre of the spare wheel is 125 cm above the ground.

It is definitely not M16. But I'm not sure if it's actually a standard M14. From the diameter it looks like it, but the thread looks not standard to me. I'm on the road and don't have an M14 nut at the moment.
Thanks @rovie , that's a great help!(y)
Re. theM14 thread, some are 1.25mm while others can be 1.5mm. The diameter is what I was largely concerned with.

douggie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks @rovie , that's a great help!(y)
Re. theM14 thread, some are 1.25mm while others can be 1.5mm. The diameter is what I was largely concerned with.
My steel wheel lugs are M14 (Male thread is 13.6mm outside edges on my vernier calipers - they're only good to .1 ) thread is
1.25mm (3 threads just under 4mm from the photo) with 19mm nuts that are annoyingly open ended (there's a set of 22 closed wheel nuts to go get - as the 5 security nuts are ok and the spare only has 2 others and can get rubbish into it with the std cover)

Attachments

• tempImageFe2GCS.jpg
    tempImageFe2GCS.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 11

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
2:02 AM
Reaction score
It's not a bad idea to have a practise at home to see if you have the ability to even change a tyre.
Easy to bugger your back if you are out of condition , esp if stressed or in bad weather.
Better to flag a young punk down and ask for help.
But good luck with finding a good strong punk.

Back
Top Bottom