The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Rust (rust on wheel centres/axle ends)

Wilaspira

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:51 PM
Reaction score
Hi, similar to the electrical gremlins (all to date superficial[?]) there seem to be some common issues on the newly collected vehicles with surface rust on wheel centres/axle ends. My car (a sub 1000 VIN) is suffering from a mild dose of this - see below

front wheel lh

IMG_8845.jpeg

Rear wheel lh. Note it is as if the metal on centre element this side has been treated in some way ie it has a dark finish much like the front face and no/less visible surface rust? Note also rust to end of wheel bolts (this only seems to be afflicting this wheel)

IMG_8846.jpeg

front rh

IMG_8848.jpeg

Is this the same/similar for other new owners?

Attachments

• IMG_8847.jpeg
    IMG_8847.jpeg
    148.6 KB · Views: 34

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:51 AM
Reaction score
Yours is the first I've seen with surface rust on the end of the wheel studs; but most seem to have the surface rust of the hub edges.

Hicarus

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Looking around the various car parks at nearly new vehicles, very few had visible wheel studs & nuts. Most were alloy wheels with domed nuts or had plastic wheel trims. All the exceptions all showed some signs of rusting.
It is my intention to remove all wheels as soon as I get my N1 home and copper grease the studs as well as the spigot centre. That way I'll have a good chance of getting the wheel off roadside without the need for serious tooling.

Wilaspira

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yours is the first I've seen with surface rust on the end of the wheel studs; but most seem to have the surface rust of the hub edges.
Glad to see that I’m “innovating” on the rust front. For what it’s worth, one rear and one front tow eye also had small chips through the powder coating to the underlying metal. Odd that these were damaged (albeit only very slightly), perhaps the vehicles were towed around during manufacture/transport?

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Glad to see that I’m “innovating” on the rust front. For what it’s worth, one rear and one front tow eye also had small chips through the powder coating to the underlying metal. Odd that these were damaged (albeit only very slightly), perhaps the vehicles were towed around during manufacture/transport?
Or they used the towing eyes as tie downs during transport. Maybe the ratchet straps with metal hooks on the end. Just a thought 🤔

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:51 AM
Reaction score
Looking around the various car parks at nearly new vehicles, very few had visible wheel studs & nuts. Most were alloy wheels with domed nuts or had plastic wheel trims. All the exceptions all showed some signs of rusting.
It is my intention to remove all wheels as soon as I get my N1 home and copper grease the studs as well as the spigot centre. That way I'll have a good chance of getting the wheel off roadside without the need for serious tooling.
I once had a flat tire in Corsica some years ago, late evening. Couldn't get my wheel off. Called road assistance company (had an insurance). While I'll waited them to come, I continued to try to get it off. I finally succeeded. Called them back: it's OK, don't need help anymore. Problem: rust + flat tire! I will not take my wheel off now, I'll wait till I have to go to the dealer and then ask them to take the wheel off and put some decent grease.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
So I took the rear wheels off this afternoon to see the full effect:
WP_20230605_070.jpg
WP_20230605_054.jpg
WP_20230605_072.jpg

A little wire wool later, and they were ready for a light coating of Copaslip and putting back on:
WP_20230605_057.jpgWP_20230605_058.jpg

It's worth noting that the back face of the wheels are not completely flat, and so the mating surface for coating with any product needs to be applied judiciously.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Might also be worth noting that the brake pad wear sensor only seems to be present for the rear on one side - for RHD this is the offside:

WP_20230605_005.jpg

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Although this rust is not uncommon and usually doesn't cause any real problems, I don't like to see it on a brand new car. At least the wheel mounting flange on the brake disc should have a light protective coating.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Quite.

Mine's been stood around for 5 months so the results were sort of expected. They tidied up OK.

Reactions: Max
Local time
Reaction score
A question, for wheel lugs does greasing the threads do anything negative to reaching a correct tightening torque, i.e. will that lead to overtightening?

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Threads? I prosume DCPU meant the surfaces only?

Reactions: Max

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
A question, for wheel lugs does greasing the threads do anything negative to reaching a correct tightening torque, i.e. will that lead to overtightening?
Theoretically, yes. You should not grease studs as it can lead to over torquing. Bentley motors have a paper on this which you can find online. Personally, based on my 50 years of putting a small amount of copper slip on each stud I have NEVER had any issues and it only made life easier.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:51 PM
Reaction score
Hi Boston Boy, Yes, from my understanding putting any lubricant on the studs or wheel nuts will change the torque settings, allowing you
to potentially over torque without knowing it and if not careful break a threaded stud off. I have read this numerous times. Most say
don't apply any lubricant, however there are some that say they have been doing so and never experienced any issues. I am sure
most manufactures including Ineos would not recommend it. I would recommend doing your own research on this and drawing your own
conclusions. Just keep in mind lubricants on the studs will change the torque settings. DaBull

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
7:51 PM
Reaction score

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
+1 for some copper grease on studs.

I'm aware of the risks of changing the correct torque reading but in my opinion minimal risk so have always done so and will continue.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
12:51 PM
Reaction score
The biggest risk is with people who rely on tyre shops using rattle guns to tighten their wheel nuts.
Check wheel nuts yourself , regularly, if you don't already have this habit.
And beware of actvists and delinquents who are prone to loosening them without your permission.

Local time
Reaction score
My friend is a tire fitter occasionally he will use a very small dab of copper grease diluted with WD40 but only the smallest amount on dodgy studs/disc faces.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The biggest risk is with people who rely on tyre shops using rattle guns to tighten their wheel nuts.
Check wheel nuts yourself , regularly, if you don't already have this habit.
And beware of actvists and delinquents who are prone to loosening them without your permission.
one of the chaps in the pub used to work at TVR garage. Mechanic forgot to put wheel nuts on after servicing. Customer collected car and was passed by his two rear wheels as he braked!

Lads, always check your nuts!

Back
Top Bottom