The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Rooftop conversion - Kronos

Pat-Ard

Global Grenadier #00520
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:10 PM
Reaction score
Last edited:

internal

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I was already in contact with Miguel at the end of last year to see if Alu Innovations was planning anything. The answer was yes, but it will take at least another year.

I'll be in Cape Town in a fortnight and will definitely drop by Alu Innovations.

internal

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
So, yesterday I went to Alu Innovations. A down-to-earth workshop and I received a very friendly welcome. The boss (Cassiem) showed me around the workshop. There were also other interesting vehicles there (including a recently converted Unimog). They had just given a Troopy a new roof. Cassiem is basically just waiting to get his hands on a Grenadier to cut the roof. He also showed me pictures of other cars he's done roof conversions for. He doesn't see any problem with the electric panel, the bed would just fold up afterwards.
All in all, I got the impression that he would make anything possible. When I left and apologised for our small rental car (Nissan Magnite), he offered me an extension. I then asked for a roof conversion. No problem for him ;-). Of course it was a joke but you get an idea of what he is like.
By the way, he recommended that I ship my INEOS down, let him do the conversion and then drive it back to Europe. I'm seriously thinking about it ;-)

Afterwards I went to the Alu Cab HQ. Of course it's completely different there. A huge area and no chance to get into the workshop. Then I had a very pleasant conversation with Greg (Global Something Manager). Alu Cab has apparently been in talks with INEOS for some time and is (finally) due to get a PT01 next week. There is no final decision yet if they will offer a roof conversion, but it would be high on the list. However, they would then be developing a completely new product (so not just copying the Hercules/ Icarus). That would mean at least 6 months of development and testing. One sticking point would be that the electric panel would have to be moved in any case (!).

So it will be interesting to see how the two companies proceed with this issue. Obviously, neither of them wanted to give me a statement on the width of the bed. In my opinion, the width of the bed should be much wider than that of the LC and Defender. When you have had a roof tent with a width of 1.60m for more than 10 years, you do struggle a bit with widths of around 1.20m.

In this context, many thanks to my wife who endured this trip with me yesterday on Valentine's Day ;-)

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
5:10 AM
Reaction score
English Version

''FOLDING ROOF FOR THE BUSH TAXI
The Kronos folding roof for the Land Cruiser 78 and others
Folding roofs have long been popular with overlanders and are a good alternative to roof tents. The vehicle dimensions often remain virtually unchanged, yet a folding roof results in a much larger living space. Miguel Budde Ferreira has brought the Kronos folding roof for the bush cab from South Africa to Europe.

The Kronos retractable roof is developed and produced by the company Alu-Innovations in Cape Town. The head behind the roofs is a former developer of Alu Cab, a company also known in this country. Alu-Innovations is specialized in individual superstructures and extensions for off-road vehicles and folding roofs. And Miguel, who you probably know from the outdoor clothing viavesto, saw the Kronos folding roof for the Bush Taxi in a video, was immediately enthusiastic about the design as well as detail solutions and finally took over import and distribution in Europe with his brand Lomayon Equipment.

A retractable roof for the bush cab with an appealing and at the same time practical design

The Kronos retractable roof for the bush cab successfully blends in with the original vehicle silhouette. Thanks to the integrated roof slope in the front area and the low additional height, it adds little bulk and visually blends in with the original roof.

The Kronos retractable roof for the Bushtaxi blends in well with the vehicle design.
The roof shell is insulated and the canvas on the right and left as well as at the rear is equipped with one large window each with mosquito nets and zippers for opening. There is a sun awning over the rear window. It thus provides good ventilation in the vehicle even in adverse weather conditions and can be rolled up when not in use.

The roof is delivered completely painted in the desired color, at no extra charge! The aluminum frame and stainless steel hinges promise durability.

Dimensions and weights

The folding roof for the Bushtaxi measures 2,760 mm in length and 1,260 to 1,345 mm in width. The vehicle height increases by just 110 mm. The additional weight due to the folding roof is 75 kg. The roof opening angle allows a roof opening of 1.6 meters at the rear. This results in a significant gain in space.

The large roof opening angle results in a significant gain in space.
These dimensions allow a lying surface of 2,300 x 1,130 mm. A foam mattress with removable cover included in the scope of delivery can be placed on it. The foldable shorter part (approx. 50 cm) at the rear end facilitates the ascent. Particularly practical: the lying surface can be folded upwards, with the support of gas pressure dampers, thus freeing up the living space during the day.

Detailed solutions make travel life easier in the folding roof for the bush cab

The interior features two large double pockets that can hold more than just small items. LED lights on the ceiling, under the included shelf above the windshield and under the bed, as well as on the roof tray, provide lighting inside the vehicle. The lights are adjustable in light color (red, yellow, white).

The lashing rails mounted on the roof as standard provide fastening possibilities for additional roof loads.

On the folding roof rails provide lashing possibilities of roof loads.
Prices and distribution

The retractable roof for the Buschtaxi currently costs 9,999.00 Euro incl. VAT ex warehouse in 35325 Mücke plus freight costs (as of 07.02.2023). The assembly can take place by a partner enterprise or also in self-direction.

The Kronos retractable roof is not only available for the 78 Troopy. Alu-Innovations also has retractable roofs in its product range for the 76 variant of the Land Cruiser, the J15 and the 110 Defender. Even for the Ineos Grenadier one is in preparation. As soon as the first prototype works in Cape Town, it will be available at Lomayon Equipment in the future.

Here is a small YouTube video clip that introduces the roof. Interested parties can contact Miguel directly via email. He also offers other equipment like folding tables, gullwings and more.

© Photos: Miguel Budde Ferreira

KEYWORDS
VEHICLE-EQUIPMENT-LIFTING-ROOF-INTERIOR-EXTENSION-CRUISERTOYOTATROOPYCONVERSION

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)''

internal

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
English Version

''FOLDING ROOF FOR THE BUSH TAXI
The Kronos folding roof for the Land Cruiser 78 and others
Folding roofs have long been popular with overlanders and are a good alternative to roof tents. The vehicle dimensions often remain virtually unchanged, yet a folding roof results in a much larger living space. Miguel Budde Ferreira has brought the Kronos folding roof for the bush cab from South Africa to Europe.

The Kronos retractable roof is developed and produced by the company Alu-Innovations in Cape Town. The head behind the roofs is a former developer of Alu Cab, a company also known in this country. Alu-Innovations is specialized in individual superstructures and extensions for off-road vehicles and folding roofs. And Miguel, who you probably know from the outdoor clothing viavesto, saw the Kronos folding roof for the Bush Taxi in a video, was immediately enthusiastic about the design as well as detail solutions and finally took over import and distribution in Europe with his brand Lomayon Equipment.

A retractable roof for the bush cab with an appealing and at the same time practical design

The Kronos retractable roof for the bush cab successfully blends in with the original vehicle silhouette. Thanks to the integrated roof slope in the front area and the low additional height, it adds little bulk and visually blends in with the original roof.

The Kronos retractable roof for the Bushtaxi blends in well with the vehicle design.
The roof shell is insulated and the canvas on the right and left as well as at the rear is equipped with one large window each with mosquito nets and zippers for opening. There is a sun awning over the rear window. It thus provides good ventilation in the vehicle even in adverse weather conditions and can be rolled up when not in use.

The roof is delivered completely painted in the desired color, at no extra charge! The aluminum frame and stainless steel hinges promise durability.

Dimensions and weights

The folding roof for the Bushtaxi measures 2,760 mm in length and 1,260 to 1,345 mm in width. The vehicle height increases by just 110 mm. The additional weight due to the folding roof is 75 kg. The roof opening angle allows a roof opening of 1.6 meters at the rear. This results in a significant gain in space.

The large roof opening angle results in a significant gain in space.
These dimensions allow a lying surface of 2,300 x 1,130 mm. A foam mattress with removable cover included in the scope of delivery can be placed on it. The foldable shorter part (approx. 50 cm) at the rear end facilitates the ascent. Particularly practical: the lying surface can be folded upwards, with the support of gas pressure dampers, thus freeing up the living space during the day.

Detailed solutions make travel life easier in the folding roof for the bush cab

The interior features two large double pockets that can hold more than just small items. LED lights on the ceiling, under the included shelf above the windshield and under the bed, as well as on the roof tray, provide lighting inside the vehicle. The lights are adjustable in light color (red, yellow, white).

The lashing rails mounted on the roof as standard provide fastening possibilities for additional roof loads.

On the folding roof rails provide lashing possibilities of roof loads.
Prices and distribution

The retractable roof for the Buschtaxi currently costs 9,999.00 Euro incl. VAT ex warehouse in 35325 Mücke plus freight costs (as of 07.02.2023). The assembly can take place by a partner enterprise or also in self-direction.

The Kronos retractable roof is not only available for the 78 Troopy. Alu-Innovations also has retractable roofs in its product range for the 76 variant of the Land Cruiser, the J15 and the 110 Defender. Even for the Ineos Grenadier one is in preparation. As soon as the first prototype works in Cape Town, it will be available at Lomayon Equipment in the future.

Here is a small YouTube video clip that introduces the roof. Interested parties can contact Miguel directly via email. He also offers other equipment like folding tables, gullwings and more.

© Photos: Miguel Budde Ferreira

KEYWORDS
VEHICLE-EQUIPMENT-LIFTING-ROOF-INTERIOR-EXTENSION-CRUISERTOYOTATROOPYCONVERSION

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)''
this post was exactly the reason why I went to South Africa and asked Alu Innovations personally...

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:10 PM
Reaction score
When I saw the thread title i pictured this..

Attachments

• 46259D21-4204-4C42-B687-08770A970B82.jpeg
    46259D21-4204-4C42-B687-08770A970B82.jpeg
    178.7 KB · Views: 76
Local time
6:10 AM
Reaction score
I will be interesting to see who is first in the the roof top conversion game for the IG. AluCab, Alu-Innovations, Mulgo.....etc.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:10 AM
Reaction score
I will be interesting to see who is first in the the roof top conversion game for the IG. AluCab, Alu-Innovations, Mulgo.....etc.
It will also be interesting to see their different solutions for relocating the overhead switches etc.

Local time
6:10 AM
Reaction score
I've been thinking about that. I kind of hope they don't move them at all. Just leaving in that headliner section. The conversion then mounts over that sections. I think I saw something like it on a troppy where there was a foot or two over the drive that had shelfs. Not sure who made that one.

These first few years are going to be fun to watch, not just for these conversions but all accessories coming to market.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
We need a texan to swing by to American Safari to see if we can get their extension fitted to Grenadier. Not only does it extend the rear but a roof top converts into a bed.

Local time
Reaction score
Already been talking with another well-respected company about this. Supposedly I'm the 4th globally (1st in USA) to throw a hat into the ring. No news yet on overhead switches, but I hope they follow AluCab's Thor style, and start the roof aft of switches.

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
8:10 AM
Reaction score
I can’t imagine any manufactured not keeping the panel in place.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:10 PM
Reaction score

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:10 PM
Reaction score
2 questions
1. How have they engineered the strucural integrity into that when they have removed at least 3 hefty cross beams.
2. What have they done with the roof controls and how good/shitty does their solution look?

For me I will go with an awning and a swag.
Nice video.
I personally don't like the finished "new look" of the Grenadier but it looks high quality.

It is certainly a "Crossing the Rubicon" modification but folks who do this have probably done it before and/or are generally very committed to this form of overlanding/travel.

You are correct that they have removed 3 of the 5 structural roof cross beams, leaving two.
Is that enough it maintain compliance or what have they added? Roof wiring must gone down into wall cavities.

Screenshot 2023-09-08 084857.png

Sam

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:10 PM
Reaction score
A comment about the general approach, and NOT Mulgo, whose work is excellent...

- this seems to turn the whole car towards one single purpose, i.e.
- a $120,000 tent?
- to sleep, one must empty the entire car?

I travelled Aus in a kombi for 6 months... the pop-top idea, to me, seems inseparable from/ predicated upon the vehicle interior being inhabitable, which it kind of isn't in a 4WD?

Back
Top Bottom