The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Please check your wheel arch liner bolts

Highwayman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:41 AM
Reaction score
Noticed today that a couple of bolts holding on the rear wheel arch liner had dropped out and a third was very loose and about to try and find its friends. Put a temporary fix in place until I get some replacements.

I went round the car and the others were not loose, but they weren’t tight either, so I nipped them up. Mights be worth checking yours

20230511_164742.jpg

20230511_170108.jpg

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Noticed today that a couple of bolts holding on the rear wheel arch liner had dropped out and a third was very loose and about to try and find its friends. Put a temporary fix in place until I get some replacements.

I went round the car and the others were not loose, but they weren’t tight either, so I nipped them up. Mights be worth checking yours

View attachment 7811192

View attachment 7811193
Makes you wonder if they had been removed post manufacturer for some remedial work. What can you access behind it?

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

View attachment 7811192

View attachment 7811193
Could this account for some of the noise or vibrations some people have been getting 🤔

Last edited:

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:41 PM
Reaction score

View attachment 7811192

View attachment 7811193
@Highwayman Thank you for pointing this out. My screws are all tight. However, my dealer also removed the wheel arch linings, among other things, because I had the entire underbody waxed. To ensure that the wax gets to where it is supposed to go, some components were dismantled and then reattached.

Wilaspira

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for heads up. I checked my wheel arch screws and all were still in and none loose albeit all could be tightened a little more (I was conscious thought that I did not want to “over-torque“ them)

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
@Highwayman Thank you for pointing this out. My screws are all tight. However, my dealer also removed the wheel arch linings, among other things, because I had the entire underbody waxed. To ensure that the wax gets to where it is supposed to go, some components were dismantled and then reattached.
Great idea - might be worth considering for myself.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
What product did you use?

Reactions: PBD

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
10:41 AM
Reaction score
"Spanner checks" are part and parcel of racing cars, and those that venture remotely. Make it a habit to crawl around and under! Unleash the OCD beast within 😁

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
So checked mine this morning.

I think the OP's missing bolts might actually be for the mud flaps rather than the wheelarch liner. My liner appears to be held in place with nuts rather than bolts/ set screws.

WP_20230512_004.jpg

A good few of mine were loose, as in requiring 1/4 to 1/2 turn to nip up. What was most most evident is that there was quite a variance between them all.

I know @Highwayman has replaced them with hex head bolts, but I took one out to see, and they have a shoulder that locates in the mudflap to stop it moving (I measured them as M6 x 18mm (3mm of which was the shoulder):
WP_20230512_008.jpg
WP_20230512_013.jpg

I also took the opportunity to check the wheelarch brow fixings as these were the same T40 bolts. Again, more than a few needed a degree of tightening.

Whilst checking the fronts, I thought I'd check the bumper end ones as they were so close and visible:
WP_20230512_006.jpg

but I met one of my pet peeves, they'd decided to make the bumper set screws a different size - T30. OK swap out the bit and carry on. Only once you get to the front of the bumper, they swap back to T40 again.

OK, it's not a big thing but I don't see why an engineer looking from a maintenance perspective, especially if you are having to carry all your own tools on an expedition, would not just try hard to standardise these things.

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
So checked mine this morning.

I think the OP's missing bolts might actually be for the mud flaps rather than the wheelarch liner. My liner appears to be held in place with nuts rather than bolts/ set screws.

View attachment 7811338

A good few of mine were loose, as in requiring 1/4 to 1/2 turn to nip up. What was most most evident is that there was quite a variance between them all.

I know @Highwayman has replaced them with hex head bolts, but I took one out to see, and they have a shoulder that locates in the mudflap to stop it moving:
View attachment 7811339
View attachment 7811341

I also took the opportunity to check the wheelarch brow fixings as these were the same T40 bolts. Again, more than a few needed a degree of tightening.

Whilst checking the fronts, I thought I'd check the bumper end ones as they were so close and visible:
View attachment 7811340

but I met one of my pet peeves, they'd decided to make the bumper set screws a different size - T30. OK swap out the bit and carry on. Only once you get to the front of the bumper, they swap back to T40 again.

OK, it's not a big thing but I don't see why an engineer looking from a maintenance perspective, especially if you are having to carry all your own tools on an expedition, would not just try hard to standardise these things.
While your under there could you take out the wheel arch liner and check what’s under that front wing/fender. There are a few of us that would like to know whether its strong enough to sit or stand on possibly with a bit of plastic chequer plate on top.
thanks in advance. 👍🏼

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
You can hide drugs there.

adam chick GIF

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
While your under there could you take out the wheel arch liner and check what’s under that front wing/fender. There are a few of us that would like to know whether its strong enough to sit or stand on possibly with a bit of plastic chequer plate on top.
thanks in advance. 👍🏼
I'll add it to my list...although I'm not sure "going in from below" will be the best way...

Edit: Answer added to this thread:

Last edited:

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
What product did you use?
@ECrider
My vehicle was preserved with TimeMAX.
In various other forums there are wild discussions back and forth about whether TimeMAX or Mike Sanders is better.
TimeMAX is a further development of Mike Sanders, from the same "inventor"/developer.
I had it done directly after the vehicle was delivered to the dealer. From my point of view, it was done excellently. I am very satisfied. Since he has done this in the past on many G models, he knows what is important. As I said, some parts were dismantled so that the wax could get everywhere.

TD5-90

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
2:41 AM
Reaction score
Are you willing to disclose who your dealer is?

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Are you willing to disclose who your dealer is?
Of course, why not? - LeTech.
They do excellent work. Previously on G models, now also on Grenadiers.
I deliberately chose this dealer because I know that he really knows all about four-wheel drive technology and manufactures add-on parts of very high quality himself.

Back
Top Bottom