The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Build Thread @Jean Mercier Self-made temporary cheap trunk cover

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:35 AM
Reaction score
When I travel, I like to hide my luggage, even if it isn’t very valuable (tent, clothes, beer, etc.)

That's why I have optioned the tinted privacy glass. But I want a trunk cover. I decided to build a temporary one myself.

My prerequisites:
  • cheap
  • light
  • fast to build because I will travel soon to Hungary to visit my relatives.
  • No structural damage to the car for the time being
  • Therefore, using the hooks of the rear seat and …
  • The holes of the ventilation grid in the back (or how do you call these?)
I bought shade cloth (2m X 1m) and fixation rings (bag of 20, less would have been better). Total cost: 12 euro! I had also some piece of thick grey plastic, a little bit flexible and not brittle at all (see the picture).

trunk cover 00.jpgtrunk cover 01.jpg

I found also some nice metallic hooks in one of my boxes (don’t know the cost) and a plastic handle of a cardboard box. Both entered in the slits of the ventilation grid.

trunk cover 02.jpg

I played around with these and the fixation rings of the shade cloth.

trunk cover 03.jpg

Finally, I decided not to use the “modified plastic handle” but the metallic hooks alone:

trunk cover 07.jpgtrunk cover 09.jpg07

And I saw the grey plastic in a particular shape and made some holes, see the final result below:

trunk cover 05.jpg

The final version had the next dimensions, the long hole fits exactly in the metallic hooks of the rear seat. The dimension of the other round hole depends on the screw you have (didn’t buy it, already had it).

trunk cover 06.jpgtrunk cover 04.jpgtrunk cover 08.jpg

OK, forum rules don't allow me to post more pictures in one post, therefore, I'll try to open a second one ...

Last edited:

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:35 AM
Reaction score
Playing around with the “shade cloth” and the fixation rings is a little bit trial and error

trunk cover 08.jpgtrunk cover 10.jpgtrunk cover 13.jpg

Why did I make the cloth longer than the trunk (and wider): because I can then bend it over the edge and hid a bit better my luggage. Especially in the rear this is important as I couldn’t find a trick to bring it closer to my rear doors!

trunk cover 11.jpg

The final dimensions are to be seen in the next picture where:
  • The two rings at 5 cm distance are meant to be able to bend the cloth backward and put the hook trough the two central holes of the fixation rings.
  • The rings that I crossed out were a first attempt that I discarded.
trunk cover 12.jpg

Finally, I sewed (by hand) a hem in the cloth using the loose plastic wires that fell off the cloth and did put in each corner a supplementary fixation ring. Perhaps I can use the cloth as a sun roof outside the car.

trunk cover 14.jpg14

Conclusion
  • The cloth isn’t stiff enough
  • It doesn’t reach the doors in the back
  • It is ugly …
  • but very cheap
  • It took some hours to build it
  • I am quite happy with plastic fixation part for the hooks of the back seat, works well
  • I have already some other ideas …
I hope some real nice aftermarket trunk cover will be available soon.

Any ideas for improving this are welcome.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
4:35 PM
Reaction score
Nice effort , a step above what is termed a "ghetto fix" 😁
You could also use a sheet of goatskin to pervade the interior with a nice fragrance.
Not quite black sheep, but hey...

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:35 PM
Reaction score
When I travel, I like to hide my luggage, even if it isn’t very valuable (tent, clothes, beer, etc.)

That's why I have optioned the tinted privacy glass. But I want a trunk cover. I decided to build a temporary one myself.

My prerequisites:
  • cheap
  • light
  • fast to build because I will travel soon to Hungary to visit my relatives.
  • No structural damage to the car for the time being
  • Therefore, using the hooks of the rear seat and …
  • The holes of the ventilation grid in the back (or how do you call these?)
I bought shade cloth (2m X 1m) and fixation rings (bag of 20, less would have been better). Total cost: 12 euro! I had also some piece of thick grey plastic, a little bit flexible and not brittle at all (see the picture).

View attachment 7811704View attachment 7811705

I found also some nice metallic hooks in one of my boxes (don’t know the cost) and a plastic handle of a cardboard box. Both entered in the slits of the ventilation grid.

View attachment 7811706

I played around with these and the fixation rings of the shade cloth.

View attachment 7811707

Finally, I decided not to use the “modified plastic handle” but the metallic hooks alone:

View attachment 7811708View attachment 781170907

And I saw the grey plastic in a particular shape and made some holes, see the final result below:

View attachment 7811711

The final version had the next dimensions, the long hole fits exactly in the metallic hooks of the rear seat. The dimension of the other round hole depends on the screw you have (didn’t buy it, already had it).

View attachment 7811712View attachment 7811713View attachment 7811717

OK, forum rules don't allow me to post more pictures in one post, therefore, I'll try to open a second one ...
Here's an off the shelf trunk cover that will hide your junk.
1684016173153.png

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:35 AM
Reaction score
Nice effort , a step above what is termed a "ghetto fix" 😁
You could also use a sheet of goatskin to pervade the interior with a nice fragrance.
Not quite black sheep, but hey...
Yes and a smelly old male goat skin that has been pissing all over his belly as they do. The smell would than put off any onlookers from peering through the window to look at any contents 😂

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Yes and a smelly old male goat skin that has been pissing all over his belly as they do. The smell would than put off any onlookers from peering through the window to look at any contents 😂
The goat didn't realise he was contributing to his own demise. One way to get a tan I suppose...

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Playing around with the “shade cloth” and the fixation rings is a little bit trial and error

View attachment 7811718View attachment 7811719View attachment 7811720

Why did I make the cloth longer than the trunk (and wider): because I can then bend it over the edge and hid a bit better my luggage. Especially in the rear this is important as I couldn’t find a trick to bring it closer to my rear doors!

View attachment 7811721

• The two rings at 5 cm distance are meant to be able to bend the cloth backward and put the hook trough the two central holes of the fixation rings.
View attachment 7811722

Finally, I sewed (by hand) a hem in the cloth using the loose plastic wires that fell off the cloth and did put in each corner a supplementary fixation ring. Perhaps I can use the cloth as a sun roof outside the car.

View attachment 781172314

Conclusion
  • It is ugly …
  • but very cheap
  • I am quite happy with plastic fixation part for the hooks of the back seat, works well

Great effort JM.

Why not just throw a large blanket over what ever you have in the back?

painter

Reservation Holder
Local time
1:35 AM
Reaction score
Take note gentle readers ...

this is what you (may) get when you take the time and make the effort to post up mods you think may be of interest to the community. SMFH.

For shame, peanut gallery !

---
JM, well done.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:35 PM
Reaction score
Well said the nice Canadian @painter and shame on you ratty Australians. Have some respect. 🤪

And @Tazzieman clearly @DaveB ’s trunks are for growers not showers. 😉

And good simple workaround @Jean Mercier. Are the 4 luggage rings all level? If so I’m wondering if for a more permanent solution you could use a sturdier material for the blind and affix occy strap (bungy cord, not sure what Europeans call it) type loops on each corner with a plastuc hook to just clip to each ring?

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:35 AM
Reaction score

View attachment 7811721

View attachment 7811722

Conclusion
  • It is ugly …
  • but very cheap

https://www.ebay.com.au/b/Industrial-Shock-Cords-Bungees/109492/bn_78216982

bigleonski beat me to it...good minds think alike​

Last edited:
This site contains affiliate links for which The Grenadier Forum may be compensated.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

View attachment 7811721

View attachment 7811722

Conclusion
  • It is ugly …
  • but very cheap

The jean mercier grenadier accessory shop is now open, online orders now taken

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

View attachment 7811721

View attachment 7811722

Conclusion
  • It is ugly …
  • but very cheap

fantastic Jean 👍💪

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Good stuff - on a small tangent your rear mat appears to have several differences to mine:

trunk cover 10.jpg
WP_20230514_001.jpg
and you don't have the lower corner tie down rings.

Back
Top Bottom