The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Is this normal? (Steering squeal)

bradb622

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
1:51 AM
Reaction score
Honest question I’d like the throw out there. The squeal heard in the video happens with minimal wheel turn. It is mostly constant when driving but stops briefly sometimes. It can be heard from inside the cabin with windows up. The A/C is off. Dealer thought it might be normal as they tested several of their cars and they all did this to varied noise levels. I’m not incredibly mechanically inclined, have a few guesses, but could use the help from people who know more. I don’t remember this noise on prototypes nor heard it in videos. Thoughts?

Attachments

• VID-20231221-WA0000_1_001.mp4
    536.7 KB
  • VID-20231221-WA0000_1_001.mp4
    536.7 KB

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Sounds like a maybe slightly louder than normal power steering pump, but each pump seems to be of slightly different loudness

bradb622

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
They did check the decibel levels on each vehicle. They really did take time with it and couldn’t find anything wrong, but I’d love to improve it if possible.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’d love to improve it if possible.
I'm not sure what cooling the pump requires, but a somewhat loose wrap of 3M Thinsulate SM600L (or any other similar sound deadener) could work

Local time
10:51 PM
Reaction score
Im wondering if they are using a big enough power steering unit/pump for the vehicle.
We will know more once more people start putting bigger tires etc on these.
IDK

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:51 PM
Reaction score
Yes they do that, checked with agent they confirmed they are all doing it

bradb622

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I feel like I should say that hearing the noise while driving is only at low speeds and that’s if I’m listening for it. Also worth saying is that I may only have 150 miles on it, but I wouldn’t trade this Grenadier for anything, it’s just incredible.

OGrid

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I drive with my window down and have not heard any noise associated with steering movement, or any other noise similar to what you’ve recorded.

AMD66

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:51 AM
Reaction score
Mine is the same, and has over a few thousands miles become much quieter or I’ve just got used to it 👍

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I can hear my power steering whine a little bit crawling with the windows down, don’t notice it windows up.

Lemon35

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
10:51 PM
Reaction score
I drive with my window down and have not heard any noise associated with steering movement, or any other noise similar to what you’ve recorded.
I have also not heard any noise similar to the original post.

bradb622

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Thank you all for the replies. People reached out who had experienced the same noise and it went away with more miles driven. That is greatly reassuring. Thanks again.

I’ll do my part and work on adding those miles.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:51 AM
Reaction score
Honest question I’d like the throw out there. The squeal heard in the video happens with minimal wheel turn. It is mostly constant when driving but stops briefly sometimes. It can be heard from inside the cabin with windows up. The A/C is off. Dealer thought it might be normal as they tested several of their cars and they all did this to varied noise levels. I’m not incredibly mechanically inclined, have a few guesses, but could use the help from people who know more. I don’t remember this noise on prototypes nor heard it in videos. Thoughts?
Only saw your post today.
By the way: Happy New Year Australia, New Zealand, but Europeans and Americans have to wait ;)
I never had that squealing noise. Strange!

Back
Top Bottom