The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Ineos Automotive v. JLR, No. 2:21-cv-13174 (D.N.J.)

Local time
11:51 AM
Reaction score
Is anyone else following the federal trademark litigation in New Jersey? Any bets on whether Judge Neals rules before the 3/31 CJRA reporting deadline? The MTD has been ripe for 14 months.

I also have wondered whether the NA pricing and order book timeline has been pushed back, in part, due to this litigation.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:51 AM
Reaction score
Is anyone else following the federal trademark litigation in New Jersey? Any bets on whether Judge Neals rules before the 3/31 CJRA reporting deadline? The MTD has been ripe for 14 months.

I also have wondered whether the NA pricing and order book timeline has been pushed back, in part, due to this litigation.
That is US specific litigation, I see no reason it would hold things up in the rest of the world.

Local time
Reaction score
That is US specific litigation, I see no reason it would hold things up in the rest of the world.
Given the OP pontificating if this is what may push the schedule for NA, specifically, no one inferred this has anything to do with the batch and hold nonsense elsewhere.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:51 PM
Reaction score
There's various references in the forum:

But without subscribing to PaceMonitor then it's difficult to see the details of the case moving forward. It does appear to have stalled, unless there's something happened that's not been widely reported?

Reactions: PBD
Local time
Reaction score
But without subscribing to PaceMonitor then it's difficult to see the details of the case moving forward. It does appear to have stalled, unless there's something happened that's not been widely reported?
I have a PACER subscription. The last docket entry dates from January 2022 and relates to the motion to dismiss filed by JLR. That motion remains pending, i.e., the court hasn't ruled on it yet. There is no deadline for the court to issue a ruling, however, on September 30 and March 31 of each year, federal courts must report all motions that have been pending longer than six months. Often, judges issue long-overdue rulings in the days before those reporting dates, which is why I wondered whether we would see a ruling this week.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I may have missed it somewhere, but IA is on the offensive here. What are they going after?

Local time
Reaction score
I may have missed it somewhere, but IA is on the offensive here. What are they going after?
That's right--rather than wait to be sued by JLR, Ineos initiated a declaratory judgment action and, in a nutshell, the company has asked the court for an opinion and judgment that the design of the Grenadier does not infringe JLR's trade dress rights in the United States. (Trade dress is the visual aspect of trademark law.) In response, JLR filed a motion to dismiss the lawsuit, arguing that the court does not have jurisdiction (read: authority) over JLR or the dispute. So when the court rules on the motion, the decision won't be on the merits (i.e., whether the Grenadier infringes) but rather solely on the question of jurisdiction. Assuming the case isn't dismissed, a ruling on the merits likely would not follow for another couples years. Of course, the parties could negotiate a settlement at any time. The complaint is attached for anyone interested.

Attachments

• ECF 34 - First Amended Complaint.pdf
    607.1 KB · Views: 26

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That's right--rather than wait to be sued by JLR, Ineos initiated a declaratory judgment action and, in a nutshell, the company has asked the court for an opinion and judgment that the design of the Grenadier does not infringe JLR's trade dress rights in the United States. (Trade dress is the visual aspect of trademark law.) In response, JLR filed a motion to dismiss the lawsuit, arguing that the court does not have jurisdiction (read: authority) over JLR or the dispute. So when the court rules on the motion, the decision won't be on the merits (i.e., whether the Grenadier infringes) but rather solely on the question of jurisdiction. Assuming the case isn't dismissed, a ruling on the merits likely would not follow for another couples years. Of course, the parties could negotiate a settlement at any time. The complaint is attached for anyone interested.
Thanks for the recap. I started reading the brief you attached and remember why I never wanted to be a lawyer! 🤣

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have a PACER subscription. The last docket entry dates from January 2022 and relates to the motion to dismiss filed by JLR. That motion remains pending, i.e., the court hasn't ruled on it yet. There is no deadline for the court to issue a ruling, however, on September 30 and March 31 of each year, federal courts must report all motions that have been pending longer than six months. Often, judges issue long-overdue rulings in the days before those reporting dates, which is why I wondered whether we would see a ruling this week.
I see there's been *some* movement in recent days. Are you still following this? Can you attach the latest filings?

Screenshot_20230626_173224.jpg

Reactions: PBD
Local time
Reaction score
I see there's been *some* movement in recent days. Are you still following this? Can you attach the latest filings?
The only filing of note is the Court's 4/24 order denying JLR's motion to dismiss and permitting limited discovery into whether JLR NA (the U.S. subsidiary) is the corporate alter ego of JLR Limited (the UK parent company) for purposes of establishing the Court's personal jurisdiction over JLR Limited. The subsequent filings relate to the timing and scope of such discovery, not the substantive issues in the case. Under the current case schedule, jurisdictional discovery will continue through the summer and JLR NA likely won't file a renewed motion to dismiss until September or October.

Attachments

• Ineos v. JLR - ECF 48 Order denying MTD.pdf
    209.2 KB · Views: 12

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
That's brilliant ~ thank you very much. 👏

Watch this space as they say.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
8:51 AM
Reaction score
Any update as the court offered an extension till 8/4. I am showing a update on 8/28

Local time
Reaction score
Any update as the court offered an extension till 8/4. I am showing a update on 8/28
Aug. 4 was the deadline for JLR to produce certain documents to IA (related to jurisdictional discovery--see post #11 above). Those documents do not get filed with the court and are not publicly available. There has been no activity on the case docket since July 17; nothing was filed on August 28.

Back
Top Bottom