The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

I did it again.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
5:36 AM
Reaction score
Yes, I have ordered another one.

Here's why:

My change request for a different color was answered so, that I have to cancel the existing order and order a new one. :-(

So I did not (yet) cancel my first order, but immediately ordered a second one with my now correct configuration: Donny Grey. I will wait for the estimated production slot and then decide which order I will take.

I find this a quite disappointing:
  1. Both order confirmations I now have clearly say: "We will send you the purchase contract as soon as it is ready. You can then review your order and make any final changes to your Grenadier if you wish." (google translation). But there is no equivalent for the word 'any' in the German text, they wrote just 'letzte' which correctly translates to just 'final' as I have marked up above.
  2. Production is delayed. So there is no hurry and thus this kind of change shouldn't be a problem at all.
  3. A color change is not a technical thing: engine, model, electric equipment everything else stays the same. Just the color which was simply a different painting batch.
I have answered with exactly this arguments, and now wait for the reply.

I will keep you updated.

Last edited:

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Good luck!
I do not know how the painting in a car production is organized. I assume that they do not start with the white cars in week one and the next week begin with the silver ones. Has anybody a glue how it works? Can they produce a mix of cars of all colours in one day?

Halliwell Jones Chester

Commercial Account
INEOS Agent/Dealer (verified)
Local time
4:36 AM
Reaction score
Good luck!
I do not know how the painting in a car production is organized. I assume that they do not start with the white cars in week one and the next week begin with the silver ones. Has anybody a glue how it works? Can they produce a mix of cars of all colours in one day?
Believe it or not, your first assumption is closer to the truth than you think with all manufacturers.

Davman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:36 PM
Reaction score
That is INSANE - they definitely said that you could change colour without affecting the order. I wouldn't be happy either.

Sebastian

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I don't want to play Ineos' advocate, but my unterstanding was that changes would be possible for the reservation holders until beginning of July (or sth. like that) when one could click the link in the email and got contacted by Ineos after that to discuss the changes. Only my understanding. And not sure which build dates that "deadline" was for (mine is October ´22).

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:36 AM
Reaction score
Today INEOS told me that I can still change my colour. I could have done it if I wanted to. A new vehicle order is not necessary in any case.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
What was your strategy? Did you just say"I want to change my configuration" or did you, like me idiot, ask "Can I still change my color?"
And how did you contact them? By phone, or by mail? Which mail address?

I'm assking so silly because Ineos doesn't yet seem to have a well defined interface to their customers.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Good luck!
Have a read of this article - it suggests changes are made every 5 cars or even every 2 or 3.

"Ineos have put in a new semi-automated paintshop which spans four levels.

Here Michael Schenzle, paintshop process and equipment lead, explained that it has taken six months to build the facility, which among other things uses bespoke Geico Takisha booths and equipment.

A conveyor brings the body from the body-in-white to the paintshop where it undergoes eight pre-treatment stages. Dürr robots apply the bulk of the 120m of PVC sealants, but some must be manually applied. In addition, a cavity wax application is required to prevent what Schenzle calls the “cavity rust that you used to get in older cars.”

And a good bit in the Top Gear article :

"The paint shop really is something to behold: it’s hot, huge, and full of pipes, inter-connected vats, and multi-storey walkways.

There are – deep breath – eight pre-treatment stages and four stages of e-coating, before the Grenadier body makes its way through the e-coat oven, the sealer (manual sealer and under-body), sealer oven, top coat preparation, top coat application, base coat, intermediate oven, clear coat oven, top coat oven and finishing phases. I think that’s everything.

Twelve cars per hour can be cycled through, and it takes eight hours for each to be fully painted."

Last edited:

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Have a read of this article - it suggests changes are made every 5 cars or even every 2 or 3.

"Ineos have put in a new semi-automated paintshop which spans four levels.

Here Michael Schenzle, paintshop process and equipment lead, explained that it has taken six months to build the facility, which among other things uses bespoke Geico Takisha booths and equipment.

A conveyor brings the body from the body-in-white to the paintshop where it undergoes eight pre-treatment stages. Dürr robots apply the bulk of the 120m of PVC sealants, but some must be manually applied. In addition, a cavity wax application is required to prevent what Schenzle calls the “cavity rust that you used to get in older cars.”

And a good bit in the Top Gear article :

"The paint shop really is something to behold: it’s hot, huge, and full of pipes, inter-connected vats, and multi-storey walkways.

There are – deep breath – eight pre-treatment stages and four stages of e-coating, before the Grenadier body makes its way through the e-coat oven, the sealer (manual sealer and under-body), sealer oven, top coat preparation, top coat application, base coat, intermediate oven, clear coat oven, top coat oven and finishing phases. I think that’s everything.

Twelve cars per hour can be cycled through, and it takes eight hours for each to be fully painted."

Well emax you obviously did your homework on this!

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@emax I did this via the online chat. I asked if I could change my colour now if I wanted to. He said it would be no problem and wanted to know what colour I would like. We then talked about the production date. I thought the communication was very good. I was also offered a phone call to discuss things in detail.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Can you tell on which site you had this online chat?

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@emax https://ineosgrenadier.com. A small icon to click on appears on the right side of the screen. This will take you directly to the live chat. You have to enter your name and e-mail address and off you go. However, this only works during the day. The chat is not available in the evening.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Thank you, I will try that. (y)

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
In which case my flip flipping between a petrol and Diesel engine can stop as I have no chance of changing that. I’m still not sure even now but it sounds like I would have no chance of changing it anyway.

Good luck Emax. It sounds like you picked the short straw on this one but keep going as it is clearly still possible to get it through.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@emax This is how the chat button looks like: 1660165103071.jpeg

Deepblue

#00274 - Swiss Vehicle (SD1-1/63)
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@emax good luck
Was hoping to see some real life color samples and then change color in my order. Sounds like I then risk a later build date.
Has there been some info when color samples are expected to be available in dealer showroom? Not expecting Genadier in all colors but hoping for smaller sample pieces to compare colors to each other.

@Halliwell Jones Chester do you have some dealer insights on this? Thx

Halliwell Jones Chester

Commercial Account
INEOS Agent/Dealer (verified)
Local time
Reaction score
@emax good luck
Was hoping to see some real life color samples and then change color in my order. Sounds like I then risk a later build date.
Has there been some info when color samples are expected to be available in dealer showroom? Not expecting Genadier in all colors but hoping for smaller sample pieces to compare colors to each other.

@Halliwell Jones Chester do you have some dealer insights on this? Thx
We should be getting these colour samples soon, but I can't say for certain a date.

Once they do land however I will be sure to let you all know. I can then take pictures of the colours next to a BMW sample that you know for reference.

Steve.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@emax Have you made any progress with the chat and your colour change?

Back
Top Bottom