The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Bilstein shocks - but which Bilstein shocks?

d1rty

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
11:19 AM
Reaction score
Grenadier is using Bilstein as the OEM shocks.  That's great news, they make outstanding gear.  Do we know *which* Bilstein shocks?

In the US, we have access to several tiers of Bilstein offroad shocks for our trucks.  From the 4500/4600 series, which are typically the "off-road packaage" OEM shocks (which they were for my Tundra TRD Off-Road), to what are seen as better options such as the 5100 series and 6100 series.  And in the case of the first run of Tundra TRD Pro, TRD partnered with Bilstein on that suspension, which is a one-off that is very similar to the 8100 series.  I have upgraded to the Bilstein/TRD Pro suspension, and I can tell you it is sublime.

Any chance someone from Ineos is here and can give us a heads up as to which model of Bilestein is OEM?  And can we presume that Bilstein may offer higher-tier models as upgrade options?

Catalog linky: (yes it says 2020 but that's the newest I saw in a quick search?)
https://cart.bilsteinus.com/Portals/0/PDF/BILSTEINORCatalog2020_WEB.pdf

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
8:19 AM
Reaction score
I sent a email to Eibach today asking if they will be providing a lift kit or update coil for higher weight.  The US division had no idea but will ask the EU to find out for us. 

d1rty

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
ADVAW8S said:
I sent a email to Eibach today asking if they will be providing a lift kit or update coil for higher weight.  The US division had no idea but will ask the EU to find out for us. 

Good idea.  Interested to hear what they say - if anything.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I did get a response but nothing really to report.  The team said that the US team was not part of the development.  That we would need to contact the UK or EU to see if they have an answer.   

SteveGren

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
3:19 PM
Reaction score
Honestly it is a bit disappointing this info isn't available yet. We have a long list of esteemed vendors, but would be preferable to have more details on the components on each, for those pulling the trigger tomorrow!

Local time
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=SteveGren userid=8450975 postid=1332650294]Honestly it is a bit disappointing this info isn't available yet. We have a long list of esteemed vendors, but would be preferable to have more details on the components on each, for those pulling the trigger tomorrow![/QUOTE]

I'm with you there in wishing for more details.  For example, here in the U.S. we're familiar with Dana axles, but not the Italian brand Ineos is using.  So to compare them I need shaft and tube thicknesses, etc. I'm sure it'll all come out here pretty soon... has to... almost on sale in the U.K. right?  Really looking forward to real people's views on them.... have had enough famous people in the ads chit chatting while driving the thing on dirt. 

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
From the supplier pdf.  I say start looking at high end tractors to get a sense

HOW DID CARRARO APPROACH THE GRENADIER
PROJECT?
We joined the Grenadier project via Magna,
one of the world’s leaders in the construction
of body and chassis for the automotive
sector. We had been talking to them about
other matters, so they already knew us.
They approached us for our expertise in off-
highway automotive axles.
WHAT MAKES CARRARO SUCH A GOOD FIT FOR
THE GRENADIER?
As a new, uncompromising off-road vehicle,
the Grenadier is very close to the Carraro
soul. Since our very first seed drill ploughed
the fields of Campodarsego, our company
has been focused on reliability and
robustness, in highly challenging contexts.
This remains an integral part of our ability
to develop transmissions and axles that
guarantee productivity and efficiency,
at any latitude.
WHICH SKILLS AND COMPETENCES WERE

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:19 PM
Reaction score
Grenadier is using Bilstein as the OEM shocks. That's great news, they make outstanding gear. Do we know *which* Bilstein shocks?
Do you have a source for that?

I've read in several places it will be ZF supply (maybe Sachs).

"the Grenadier and Magna teams have opted for rigid axles, both front and rear, with springs (Eibach) and shock absorbers (ZF)"

" German engineering plays a part in creation of the vehicle’s dampers. Specifically, Friedrichshafen-based car parts manufacturers ZF has supplied the Grenadier with reinforced dampers."

" with separate long-travel Eibach coils and ZF dampers"

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
THYSSENKRUPP BILSTEIN are detailed as the suppliers of the steering damper in the August 2021 Ineos Supplier Bulletin - Partner Edition.
So has OP confused the two?

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
No I mean he's seen Bilstein as a supplier to Ineos and assumed its for the shock absorbers rather than the steering damper?

WhiteBear

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:19 PM
Reaction score
Will be interesting which dampers are used, Sachs makes quite elaborate ones. Bilstein is a company with a reputaion, would like to know why Ineos changed its supplier.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Money?
Jimmy having an affair with Mrs. Bilstein?

Business is a diverse thing.
Big business is an even more diverse thing.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Will be interesting which dampers are used, Sachs makes quite elaborate ones. Bilstein is a company with a reputaion, would like to know why Ineos changed its supplier.
Who says they changed supplier? There's no original source for where the OP got the idea they ever were.

Everything I've read since the start has always been consistent that ZF was the supplier for the shock absorbers.

I've only seen Bilstein mentioned with regard to the steering damper.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:19 AM
Reaction score
Taken from the suppliers booklet

Eibach supplies all the springs and stabiliser bars used in the Grenadier’s suspension – part of a multi-link system with separate coils and dampers, to maximise traction and wheel articulation
ZF FRIEDRICHSHAFEN Transmission and Suspension Systems

Last edited:

WhiteBear

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Who says they changed supplier? There's no original source for where the OP got the idea they ever were.

Everything I've read since the start has always been consistent that ZF was the supplier for the shock absorbers.

I've only seen Bilstein mentioned with regard to the steering damper.
Sry, misread the info, it is still ZF/Sachs.

OGrid

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:19 AM
Reaction score
“…a source told us progressive front and rear Eibach springs and heavy-duty single-tube Bilstein shocks were being used. INEOS later confirmed this with us.” - Tread Magazine. Feb 2022.

Emax posted a link to the full article in April 2022 in the forum post ‘It’s not a Land Rover’.

OG.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
That's interesting. 👍

I note the use of "were being used" and then this has been posted more recently (4 weeks ago):

Screenshot_20220820_155128.jpg

I think I'd prefer the Bilsteins. 🤞

Back
Top Bottom