The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Autocar article on INEOS Auto future

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:21 AM
Reaction score
Interesting new Autocar article on the future of INEOS Auto; including:
styling of the smaller EV (to be produced by Magna) almost complete; an upgraded "luxury" Grenadier coming; the Hambach factory will be producing 25,000 cars per year by end of 2023, clearly for the US market; annual model updates will be introduced & hydrogen Grenadier models less likely. Comments from Jim Ratcliff, Lyn Calder & Hans Pessler.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:21 PM
Reaction score
Saw this coming and if executed properly and not ridiculously priced, it will be a true money maker in the US.

" the luxury model, tipped to be an extravagantly upgraded version of the Grenadier rather than a bespoke model, is expected to forgo some of its off-road capability as a trade-off for better on-road manners. "

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:21 PM
Reaction score
I see this as really positive. Even more reason to get the first model absolutely spot on. Their reputation will be made with the Grenadier. Get that wrong and the chances of successfully launching other models will be greatly reduced. Let’s hope that the last minute quality control changes and adjustments pick up everything so that all the early adopters don’t have to have their vehicles recalled soon after delivery.

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:21 PM
Reaction score
Saw this coming and if executed properly and not ridiculously priced, it will be a true money maker in the US.

" the luxury model, tipped to be an extravagantly upgraded version of the Grenadier rather than a bespoke model, is expected to forgo some of its off-road capability as a trade-off for better on-road manners. "
Exactly - yet another G.. .. V8 perhaps. To be frank I don't care. I am always more utilitarian even if the version I ordered is a field master. This means offroad with some comfort. But nothing to be afraid to go into mud & dirt. So purpose first and comfort 2nd but luxury is priority F.. (uck off)
However - as Sir Jim needs to make some money and obviously there is more demand than fulfilment in this segment so why not providing it.
The Mercedes G makes a lot of money.. with huge wait time.
Other brands - including Range Rovers, - Bentley and co.. seem not to close the gap. Perhaps they are meant primary a luxury vehicle whilst a Mercedes G even in the most luxury version - can easy be converted in to a capable offroader perhaps by just changing wheels.
Not with a Bentley..

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Interesting:

In addition to developing the new cars, Ineos has committed to introducing annual model-year updates of the Grenadier.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Wayneos

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
"annual model-year updates of the Grenadier."

Aren't we getting monthly updates already?

Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Justin Hocevar (IA Head Asia/Pacific) mentioned this a couple of months ago at an Australian Drive Day.

He said with the huge and growing SUV market, a "lifestyle" focused Grenadier, with more luxury and features and slightly less off road functions would sell MORE units than the Grenadier. Think a bit closer to the G Wagen but cheaper.

Moreover, he said INEOS had employed many former MB engineers who used to work on the G Wagen and they were pushing for it..

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Interesting:
Both positive and negative: I hope that does not mean in the future the MY23 vehicles develop a reputation in the second hand market as the ones to avoid, especially the RHD versions. If they fix the "dead horse" issue in MY24 onwards the residuals of the MY23 will take a beating. Might need that pre price rise buffer to offset this.

Sam

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:21 AM
Reaction score

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Justin Hocevar (IA Head Asia/Pacific) mentioned this a couple of months ago at an Australian Drive Day.

He said with the huge and growing SUV market, a "lifestyle" focused Grenadier, with more luxury and features and slightly less off road functions would sell MORE units than the Grenadier. Think a bit closer to the G Wagen but cheaper.

Moreover, he said INEOS had employed many former MB engineers who used to work on the G Wagen and they were pushing for it..
Not so sure about this, people who want luxury SUVs already have a lot of choice, some like G-Wagen, Range Rover, and even the top level Toyota/Lexus even have significant off road capabilities even if they are rarely if ever used. And already have brand bragging rights. However the current Grenadier offers something actually quite hard to find. Adding options like adaptive cruise control, split aircon systems, auto wipers and electric seats etc to the current range as options though makes sense, I would have optioned adaptive cruise control and left right split aircon, auto wipers For example, but not at the expense of reduced off road capacity.

DDG

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
I see this as really positive. Even more reason to get the first model absolutely spot on. Their reputation will be made with the Grenadier. Get that wrong and the chances of successfully launching other models will be greatly reduced. Let’s hope that the last minute quality control changes and adjustments pick up everything so that all the early adopters don’t have to have their vehicles recalled soon after delivery.
Could not have stated this any better. 100% accurate assessment

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Not so sure about this, people who want luxury SUVs already have a lot of choice, some like G-Wagen, Range Rover, and even the top level Toyota/Lexus even have significant off road capabilities even if they are rarely if ever used. And already have brand bragging rights. However the current Grenadier offers something actually quite hard to find. Adding options like adaptive cruise control, split aircon systems, auto wipers and electric seats etc to the current range as options though makes sense, I would have optioned adaptive cruise control and left right split aircon, auto wipers For example, but not at the expense of reduced off road capacity.
This is about right. I discussed this JH on this very point at the Drive Day.

The "luxury" Grenadier main development focus would be on more options & features, (e.g. more exterior/interior colours, upgraded interior layouts, more gadgets to use, electric/memory seats, sunroof, etc and some weight savings needed- but, the luxury Gren would keep most (90%?) all of it's off roading prowess (even though the "lifestyle buyer will prob never use it) because the car then sort of keeps it's market position as the best off roader.

Local time
Reaction score
You say, "people who want luxury SUVs already have a lot of choice, some like G-Wagen, Range Rover..." But here in the states there is another type of expensive, tarted up off road monster that get top dollar: huge tires lifted, intake snorkels, sand ladders and shovels on the roof.... but no dirt anywhere. I think there are two separate auto bling/signaling market segments: G-Wagons and RR are bling that try to signal, "i'm in charge, i am the 1%," and other (which includes the huge pickups and the off road monsters) try to signal, "I am the type of man who could have an adventurous life at any moment if I want to."
One is a Piaget watch, and the other a huge dive watch with lots of buttons.
If selling eye candy keeps Ineos in business so they can still sell Grenadiers, good. if they abandon their roots and drift to the high-markup bling market, not so good.

Back
Top Bottom