The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Q&A Americas Are additional crossbars available individually?

Loc Nar

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:57 PM
Reaction score
Here's a question: How can one order more than two cross bars and what is the pricing for same?

One would assume they are $225 apiece since a pair is listed on the Configurator as $550, but there's no way to select additional cross bars in the Configurator.

I plan to add a roof top tent and conventional wisdom holds that three cross bars are better than two.

Solution
INEOS Americas Response:

"The Accessory crossbars are supplied in pairs as that is the most common ue case. We have found that the full lngth (A-to-D-pillar) roof rack is the most stable and appropriate base for a tent, as such it's not possible to order crossbars singly. "

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
9:57 PM
Reaction score
INEOS Americas Response:

"The Accessory crossbars are supplied in pairs as that is the most common ue case. We have found that the full lngth (A-to-D-pillar) roof rack is the most stable and appropriate base for a tent, as such it's not possible to order crossbars singly. "

Last edited:
Vote:
Solution

Loc Nar

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hmmm. I can't say I'm satisfied with this answer. A full length rack instead of crossbars is usually overkill since it adds additional unnecessary weight to the top of the vehicle (affecting overall stability plus unnecessarily decreasing overall payload) and is more expensive to boot. A hard shell aluminum tent functions as the rack when mounted on crossbars. You don't need to mount a rack on a rack. For these reasons, Roofnest recommends crossbars over a rack: Crossbars vs. Rack. The IA reference to a rack being more stable than crossbars for a roof top tent is a bit worrying. The Configurator information did not indicate crossbars are unsuitable for mounting a roof top tent, and it would be within the weight ratings for the bars. I was thinking three bars would more than fit the bill from a weight distribution point of view with six contacts at the gutters. Maybe I will have to wait and look at after-market offerings to compare. I was going to hop on the Configurator to further compare weight, cost, load ratings between the crossbars and rack, but see it is currently under maintenance. I'll be back later after having a chance to further compare.

Vote:

Loc Nar

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
All right, so I looked at the Accessories brochure, which had the most information available. The cross bars are rated at 75kg Dynamic off road, 95kg Dynamic on-road, and 375kg Static. I'm not sure if these stats are per cross bar or for the pair. Total weight - presumably for the pair - is 14kg.

The full length roof rack rates at 90kg Dynamic (does not specify off-road vs. on-road) and 370 kg Static. The weight of the rack is 60kg.

So, a pair of cross bars already beats the rack at Dynamic on-road and Static payload at less than 1/4 the weight. Adding a third bar should be good for mounting most RTT's and you'd still be at less than half the weight of the rack.

Maybe I just need to find a way to order two pairs of cross bars.

Vote:

Loc Nar

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Stu, will you please add the question - "How can one order two pairs of crossbars?" to the next round of IA questions? Thanks!

Vote:

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:57 AM
Reaction score
I suppose if someone only wanted 3, they should hope someone else is in the same boat and split a pair. Remember, sharing is caring.

Vote:

Loc Nar

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I received this e-mail notification directly from Ineos:

"At the moment, you will be unable to add more crossbars on the configurator, however in the future you will be able to place orders for parts and order more crossbars for your roof rack."

Either it's too late in the day to change the Configurator or maybe they don't want to sell vehicles with more than two crossbars because the vehicles were not crash tested with more than two. Who knows. In any event, I'm glad to know there will be a way to order additional crossbars down the road.

Vote:
Back
Top Bottom