The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

A little information about the HIGH-LOAD ADDITIONAL SWITCH BOX AND ELECTRICAL PREPARATION

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:14 PM
Reaction score

Screenshot_20221203_082812.jpg

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:14 PM
Reaction score
Well there you go Deutsch connectors... they seem to be de rigueur these days for adding electrical bits and pieces...the only problem has been the price and especially the proper crimping tools... which I've baulked at until now...However, since I'm spending a motza (technical term for "a lot"of money) on the Grenadier, heck...what's a couple of hundred for a decent set of Deutsch crimp tools and assorted lugs and connectors.... The equivalent cost of a a single tank of diesel at today's prices! 🤔

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:14 AM
Reaction score
Is it a safe assumption the connectors will be the same regardless of location? IE The UK, Aus, North America, etc.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I would guess that there's no reason that they have to be. How widely are Deutsch connectors used over there? If they're not widely available then maybe there's a market specific connector that's more appropriate.

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Here’s a cheaper alternative crimp tool for deutech connectors. Probably not robust enough for everyday professional use but a
suitable alternative for the occasional user.

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Once I get the vehicle I’ll be making up new leads for the compressor , trickle charger, solar charger and auxiliary lights etc. so I’ll be looking for a reasonably priced crimper solution.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
3:14 PM
Reaction score
On my motorbike, I have fitted AMP Superseal plugs like the one below. If mounted correctly, they are waterproof and available with many different numbers of pins.

The crimping pliers was around 170 Euros and is worth every cent.

Stecker-Wasserdicht--5-Polig_0_3274.jpg

Local time
8:14 AM
Reaction score
On my motorbike, I have fitted AMP Superseal plugs like the one below. If mounted correctly, they are waterproof and available with many different numbers of pins.

The crimping pliers was around 170 Euros and is worth every cent.
I also use Deutche connectors and bought a crimper a few years ago for bike and boat projects. This is good news indeed.

Local time
Reaction score
There are actually a couple of styles of DT pins and therefore a couple of styles of crimpers that will work. The more expensive solid pins require the expense type of crimper, but if you go with the type of pin that wraps itself around the wire a weather pack style crimper can be used with a cost of about $25 US. The inexpensive style are fine for automotive applications and can handle the loads seen.

Inexpensive
1672281039895.png1672281011941.png1672281537782.png

Expensive
1672281098624.png1672281113078.png1672281137359.png

Attachments

• 1672281506044.png
    1672281506044.png
    7.2 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
The "expensive" crimping tool, if it's a professional build, allows different dies. Mine came with three pairs and thus replaces three tools - which makes it less expensive.

There are cheap ones with exchangable dies as well, but I don't know about the quality. "Klauke" is an excellent choice. In this specimen, one pair of dies is mounted and two other pairs of dies are "parked" in the handles.

Klauke_K507_AC_SL1000_.jpg

Local time
Reaction score
These seem to be an excellent product. Does anyone know if they are used much in the U.S.?

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Last edited:

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
On the subject of electronic tools, I do not own a multi meter And feel like it’s something I should own. I have tons of hand tools and learned a lot from my father who was a mechanic. He also taught me plumbing, general carpentry, etc. But one thing he didn’t mess with was electrical stuff so my knowledge and working experience with that stuff is nonexistent.

I have been watching countless YouTube videos trying to get a better understanding of the basics and it’s apparent adding a multimeter to my toolbox is a must.

Any suggestions on a good choice for a meter? Seems like you can get ones for as little as 10-15 bucks and on the other end of the spectrum they can run into the hundreds. I don’t need the latest and greatest but I believe in buying quality tools.

Local time
8:14 AM
Reaction score
On the subject of electronic tools, I do not own a multi meter And feel like it’s something I should own. I have tons of hand tools and learned a lot from my father who was a mechanic. He also taught me plumbing, general carpentry, etc. But one thing he didn’t mess with was electrical stuff so my knowledge and working experience with that stuff is nonexistent.

I have been watching countless YouTube videos trying to get a better understanding of the basics and it’s apparent adding a multimeter to my toolbox is a must.

Any suggestions on a good choice for a meter? Seems like you can get ones for as little as 10-15 bucks and on the other end of the spectrum they can run into the hundreds. I don’t need the latest and greatest but I believe in buying quality tools.
Fluke or Greenlee. Although, Milwaukee makes a pretty good multimeter that is much less expensive.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
For general tool box use, and learning the black arts of electronics, in your part of the world, Walmart and Sears have reliable multimeters from $10 -$30. Pick one in the middle $ range.
My high school best mate who's been a professional electronics design engineer for 40+ yrs has collection of multimeters, some of which cost a "king's ransom" . He freely admits with a grin that his "meter of choice" for what he refers to as "day to day rough and tumble work" is a A$40 unit from a well known local electronics chain!

To use one properly however you need to understand basic electrical theory. Check out high school physics classes on YouTube.. it's a marvellous resource.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Get one that is designed for auto electrical use

Back
Top Bottom