The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Gearbox sump pan cracked and cant select neutral

TD5-90

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
5:03 AM
Reaction score
Hi all. In need of some help. Stuck in Tangier with a cracked sump pan to the gearbox
That's what I call bad... Any idea what caused the cracking?
EDIT: Sorry, just read about that rock... Really a combination of bad design and bad luck.
All thumbs up and deep respect for your DIY repair!!

Last edited:

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:03 AM
Reaction score
I think the European INEOS setup is poor. When they were promoting the vehicle it sounded like the backup would be there. I noticed in the Ronny Dahl video they have promised to recover cars from any gazetted track in the country (Australia). Which will include some pretty remote places I imagine. Quite a contrast to your situation!

Will they pay all your recovery costs?

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Ineos? Why? Is bad luck by own driving covered by insurance or only defects Ineos is responsible for?

AWo
I guess, but it would be nice to think that they could have recovered him and found the part.

Local time
Reaction score
I think the European INEOS setup is poor. When they were promoting the vehicle it sounded like the backup would be there. I noticed in the Ronny Dahl video they have promised to recover cars from any gazetted track in the country (Australia). Which will include some pretty remote places I imagine. Quite a contrast to your situation!

There will be a lot of fine print for recoveries and repairs on gazetted roads and their locations. Recovery companies and local motoring clubs will only go so far. There are insurance policies available in Australia for remote recovery but some require direct payment to the recovery company, most not affiliated with any insurance company, and then a claim to be lodged to reimburse the policy holder for the recovery. Some recoveries are over $10 000 and from what I have seen in my travels there are very few dedicated off road recovery trucks. These trucks only tend to be around the most popular places like the desert trips and beaches most of the other recoveries are done with a regular 2wd tilt slide and normal 4x4s.
Not Grenadier related but I have always been curious of the costs and the amount of equipment needed to retrieve those large expedition trucks when it all goes pear shaped in a remote location.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:03 AM
Reaction score

They recovered mine form 250klms away, albeit not down a track, Ineos own roadside assist said max 100klms the rest was up to me ($990) which I said nope, thats not what I expected from 1. a new car 2. the proposed flying spanners/remote assistance. Needless the say in the end it was free.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
There will be a lot of fine print for recoveries and repairs on gazetted roads and their locations. Recovery companies and local motoring clubs will only go so far. There are insurance policies available in Australia for remote recovery but some require direct payment to the recovery company, most not affiliated with any insurance company, and then a claim to be lodged to reimburse the policy holder for the recovery. Some recoveries are over $10 000 and from what I have seen in my travels there are very few dedicated off road recovery trucks. These trucks only tend to be around the most popular places like the desert trips and beaches most of the other recoveries are done with a regular 2wd tilt slide and normal 4x4s.
Not Grenadier related but I have always been curious of the costs and the amount of equipment needed to retrieve those large expedition trucks when it all goes pear shaped in a remote location.
There was a Unimog bogged down the Holland Track in W.A, fairly remote, bogged to the axles. Fortunately there was a mine nearby and they used a loader to get it out. Stupid thing was he left the track and went down through the clay. I still cannot understand the appeal of the Mog, they are slow heavy,noisy,thirsty and uncomfortable, not to mention changing a wheel is a mammoth task. The cost of the recovery is unkown to me, but I'd say it ran into the $1000s

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:03 PM
Reaction score
There was a Unimog bogged down the Holland Track in W.A, fairly remote, bogged to the axles. Fortunately there was a mine nearby and they used a loader to get it out. Stupid thing was he left the track and went down through the clay. I still cannot understand the appeal of the Mog, they are slow heavy,noisy,thirsty and uncomfortable, not to mention changing a wheel is a mammoth task. The cost of the recovery is unkown to me, but I'd say it ran into the $1000s
Remember, a good 4-wheel-drive vehicle will allow you to get stuck in even more difficult places!

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Remember, a good 4-wheel-drive vehicle will allow you to get stuck in even more difficult places!
I don't consider them particularly good form a 4x4 touring perspective, but they definitely can get you into some difficult situations.

Local time
Reaction score
They recovered mine form 250klms away, albeit not down a track, Ineos own roadside assist said max 100klms the rest was up to me ($990) which I said nope, thats not what I expected from 1. a new car 2. the proposed flying spanners/remote assistance. Needless the say in the end it was free.
I really cannot see the flying spanners remote field service happening in Australia for a private car, it is not a cost effective solution much cheaper to tow. Maybe over the phone or web based assistance will be offered.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I really cannot see the flying spanners remote field service happening in Australia for a private car, it is not a cost effective solution much cheaper to tow. Maybe over the phone or web based assistance will be offered.
Yes, we'll see how that all pans out, so far IA are reluctant to provide any 3rd party mechanics with information from what we've seen locally. It may be different if its in Birdsville or Karratha but I'm not holding out much hope in the near future.

Local time
12:33 PM
Reaction score
The Unimog's are used to recover all the Hiluxes with broken chassis on the Simpson Desert French Line, and the odd Triton and Ford Ranger and L/C 200 series with starter motor issues or broken front control arms, with the damaged vehicle on the Unimog's back and in some cases towing their off road caravan behind the Unimog at the same time.
Unimog's are exceptional at that.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The Unimog's are used to recover all the Hiluxes with broken chassis on the Simpson Desert French Line, and the odd Triton and Ford Ranger and L/C 200 series with starter motor issues or broken front control arms, with the damaged vehicle on the Unimog's back and in some cases towing their off road caravan behind the Unimog at the same time.
Unimog's are exceptional at that.
Yes, they are good at that, but that wasn't the point. Our local 4x4 recovery crew are going to the Japanese 4x4 trucks for comfort and ease of use. They had their place and still get used because they are cheap comparatively. Oh, and look good on Instagram🤙

Last edited:
Local time
Reaction score
The Birdsville Hotel is putting a new Mercedes Arocs recovery truck for the Simpson Desert into service this month and they are also are offering to purchase online a desert recovery insurance. Not sure if this replacing the old 4x4 MAN KAT recovery truck at the Birdsville servo.

Birdsvilles new Arocs.jpg

Znarfgh

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:03 PM
Reaction score

There is a very big caveat in the recovery clause which states they will recover you as long as a 2 wheel drive vehicle can get to you - that's going to rule out many, many remote places.

Local time
12:33 PM
Reaction score
Yes, they are good at that, but that wasn't the point. Our local 4x4 recovery crew are going to the Japanese 4x4 trucks for comfort and ease of use. They had their place and still get used because they are cheap comparatively. Oh, and look good on Instagram🤙
Yes the Japanese trucks may be comfortable, but the Unimog is in a totally different league when it comes to strength and capability.
The Unimog is a different vehicle built for a different purpose.

Back
Top Bottom