The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas 17" vs. 18" factory wheels?

Local time
7:33 PM
Reaction score
Reaching the point where I need to finalize my configuration and spec.
Currently have an Inky Black Trialmaster w/locking diffs/winch safari windows and 18" steel wheels on order.
My off-road use will be "mild" by some standards. No Moab trips planned or overlanding, more like sloppy secondary roads and snow in New England with occasional soft sand beach exclusions.

I'm not sure where the benefits lie in the 18" wheel vs. the 17" wheel.
It's not like you're going to gain any noticeable road manners from a lower profile tire on this particular vehicle.

For me it boils down to two factors:
1) performance advantages of either size;
2) availability and tire selection for either size.

When I replace worn tires I want the most selection of available tires in North America (not like when I had a RR L322 with 19" wheels and had like three overpriced options on Tire Rack).
I just don't want to make that mistake again.
My spec has already had massive price creep and if I can't quantify the advantage of a 18" wheel, I'd rather shave another $995 of the price.

Any thoughts? any regrets from those who've ordered either 17" or 18" wheels?

NorCal Euro

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:33 PM
Reaction score
I'm running the 18" grey beadlock alloys and have been tire shopping for 275/70/18 and there a ton of good options our there.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Reaching the point where I need to finalize my configuration and spec.
Currently have an Inky Black Trialmaster w/locking diffs/winch safari windows and 18" steel wheels on order.
My off-road use will be "mild" by some standards. No Moab trips planned or overlanding, more like sloppy secondary roads and snow in New England with occasional soft sand beach exclusions.

I'm not sure where the benefits lie in the 18" wheel vs. the 17" wheel.
It's not like you're going to gain any noticeable road manners from a lower profile tire on this particular vehicle.

For me it boils down to two factors:
1) performance advantages of either size;
2) availability and tire selection for either size.

When I replace worn tires I want the most selection of available tires in North America (not like when I had a RR L322 with 19" wheels and had like three overpriced options on Tire Rack).
I just don't want to make that mistake again.
My spec has already had massive price creep and if I can't quantify the advantage of a 18" wheel, I'd rather shave another $995 of the price.

Any thoughts? any regrets from those who've ordered either 17" or 18" wheels?
Go with the 17's like Tom109 said. DaBull

Local time
Reaction score
I asked my local off-road/tire shop about tire & size availability. They said 100% get the 17” wheels, so I did. 🤷‍♂️
Perfect. Exactly the feedback I was looking for.

I noticed that on the Configurator the 17" wheels have white letters facing out on tires and blackwall facing out on the 18".
I'd prefer no white letters, but that can be rectified.

thanks for weighing in

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

I noticed that on the Configurator the 17" wheels have white letters facing out on tires and blackwall facing out on the 18".

thanks for weighing in
Just mount the wheels on backwards. 🤣🤣🤣

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

thanks for weighing in
Hi JackieTreehorn, I originally thought I would like the white lettering facing in, however after receiving the Grenadier with the white lettering out on the tires, I like it. DaBull

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi JackieTreehorn, I originally thought I would like the white lettering facing in, however after receiving the Grenadier with the white lettering out on the tires, I like it. DaBull
Same here. Was anti white letters and now love it.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:33 AM
Reaction score
Same here. Was anti white letters and now love it.
Realised too late that lettering on the inside means lettering outside on the spare - I think I prefer it the other way in retrospect.

@JackieTreehorn I don’t think there are noticeable benefits for the 18” in the case you describe, absent a cosmetic preference.
Good luck with your purchase!

Local time
12:33 AM
Reaction score

thanks for weighing in
The KO2s come with the lettering out I had to get my dealer to swap them round . Dont the 17s come with 265s and the 18s 255???

Kevin Mokracek

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
If you plan on doing any sort of off roading I would go with 17 inch. Taller sidewall less prone to pinch when airing down. If you are more into looks then 18 but just need to be more aware when on the trails.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:33 AM
Reaction score
Big premium on the cost of 18" wheels weather steel or alloy. An easy place to save a few dollars without compromising the vehicle in any way.

Local time
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone that replied.
It’s good to get the opinions of those that have been there first.
This was my assumption……I’ll revise to 17”

Also, you’re right Cheshire….thats a lot of money for no gain (and arguably less performance off road)…..and fewer tire options down the road.

jeffmattSD

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Another thing that noone has mentioned. I have the 18" alloy wheels that come with the Fieldmaster. If you might go to aftermarket wheels in the future, go with 17" wheels now. You will have a greater selection of 17"aftermarket wheels and you can use the same tires.

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
17” all day for me. A choice made easier by the fact I really don’t like the 18” alloy rims !

As has been pointed out, if you think you might go aftermarket at any time down the road, 17” steelies. You can re-use the tyres if you want and you have saved a few quid making that choice.

Offroad

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:33 PM
Reaction score
I got the 17s and switched to the 18's after delivery. I like the look better, just a personal thing. As mentioned, 17s are better for moderate ++ offroading but based on your use, you will be fine either way on the KO2s!

Back
Top Bottom